Thread: Boost Guidance Needed GU CRD- Progressing thru NADS

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bidja
    I'll give it another go. i haven't experienced any limp mode yet and my IC seems to be fine. I was just trying to get my cruise boost to 6 psi below max boost which is currently set at 17psi which is what i have read mudski advising.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bidja, have you blocked your egr?
    2016 Dessert Gold ST Patrol Wgn Manual CRD, Flash Lube pre filter, Flash Lube catch can pro, pillar pod, redarc egt boost + voltage gauges, scan gauge 11, dawes and needle valves, safari snorkel, 3" legendex stainless exhaust, couplertec and underbody rust protection

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
    bidja, have you blocked your egr?
    sotty, first post listed NADS install prior to manual boost fit and stated that egr plate fitted at exhaust manifold:

installed: TIG welded new I/C, 3" Berkley high flow mandrel bend exhaust, EGR plate (fitted at exhaust manifold), Finished VDO gauge install today: Oil Press mech, EGT Pryo (dump pipe), Boost mech. ProVent 200 fitted (info only).
    Suggest you read the thread and you will see that I was chasing the 6 psi drop (max boost 18-21psi). This may works for some, worked well for me around town but not when doing long hauls up solid hills out of town. ECU could not keep the fuel up to it. By the way faults codes coming up are rare for me.

Before you start off with your manual boost (dawes) adjustment. close your needle (write down how many turn to close) go for a drive and give it some load/long haul work and the adjust dawes from there. When happy with max boost work your needle.
    Last edited by Bidja; 10th September 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Bidja i do remember reading that yesterday now, I've just been reading a lot of threads over the last few days. Why i was asking about the egr is that I've read that it opens up while cruising and boost pressure drops. I have not blocked mine yet. Do you think this could be a factor as to why I'm not getting 10 psi at 100km/hr in 5th gear. Because i did get 10 psi at some points on flat road but it would drop down to about 7-8 psi
    Last edited by sooty; 10th September 2017 at 08:02 PM.
    2016 Dessert Gold ST Patrol Wgn Manual CRD, Flash Lube pre filter, Flash Lube catch can pro, pillar pod, redarc egt boost + voltage gauges, scan gauge 11, dawes and needle valves, safari snorkel, 3" legendex stainless exhaust, couplertec and underbody rust protection

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imo 10psi in a crd is 2 low.
    I now run no needle and mine floats around 14.5psi @100kmh, it's set at 15psi max so not far off.
    Egts 280c ish and get around 13Lph..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sooty Note bigguwesty comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
    Sorry Bidja i do remember reading that yesterday now, I've just been reading a lot of threads over the last few days. Why i was asking about the egr is that I've read that it opens up while cruising and boost pressure drops. I have not blocked mine yet. Do you think this could be a factor as to why I'm not getting 10 psi at 100km/hr in 5th gear. Because i did get 10 psi at some points on flat road but it would drop down to about 7-8 psi
    All good sooty, as stated by many, blocking EGR is a worthwhile mod. Also you would have read that if you retain EGR function you can use dawes as a boost limiter so to reduce boost spikes and retain VNT control solenoid. Understand that you can retain EGR and have full manual boost control and bypass the VNT solenoid. There are a lot of members on the forum that know a lot more than me on this.

Regarding your low boost (7-8 psi @ 100 kph in 5th gear) you may have your needle valve open too far. Mark the needle valve housing note where it is currently set and screw needle in until it seats (record turns). Then come back to where you are now and screw it in half way and see what you get a cruise and then start adjusting in smaller increments from there to what you think runs best for you. Screwing needle in will probably increase spool up and cruise boost (you may get limp), if you do get limp then open needle gradually until you are happy with spool up and response. Remember at cruise have eng under slight load for boost measurements. Hope I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

Personally, I would do as I originally suggested: set dawes max boost 15-16psi (without limp) with needle fully closed, when happy with max boost then adjust needle for turbo arm just to float off adjustment screw.

See how you go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A video for you..
    https://youtu.be/7tQziIey884
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

sooty (11th September 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have another play with my set up when i can as it's the wifes daily drive not mine

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Hey, checked out your video, this is 12 mnth back did you get any limp?

As you mentioned:
    I now run no needle and mine floats around 14.5psi @100kmh, it's set at 15psi max so not far off.
    Egts 280c ish and get around 13Lph..
    with you current setup using tillix valve only (no needle valve) are you using the VNT solenoid or just relying on ecu?
    EGTs of only 280c is special, i get this just poking around but when working get up around 500 c - whats the go?

my max boost 15psi & cruise boost of 13psi @ 100kph
    Last edited by Bidja; 11th September 2017 at 11:58 PM. Reason: included my boost values

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Hey, checked out your video, this is 12 mnth back did you get any limp?

As you mentioned:

with you current setup using tillix valve only (no needle valve) are you using the VNT solenoid or just relying on ecu?
    EGTs of only 280c is special, i get this just poking around but when working get up around 500 c - whats the go?

my max boost 15psi & cruise boost of 13psi @ 100kph
    Yep it was 12 months ago now.
    Yes got limp going up hills so now back to 15psi.
    And nope to ecu, just tillix alone on standard actuator..
    Mine was 15psi as factory curzing at 100kmh and tillix alone sits on 14-15psi.
    But yea crd doesn't need a slow spool like the di
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast