Thread: Boost Guidance Needed GU CRD- Progressing thru NADS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Boost Guidance Needed GU CRD- Progressing thru NADS

Boost gauge (VDO mech) installed and set to work today, gauge needle just starts to lifts @ 1400rpm. Before going on, this is what I have been doing to eng over past 3 weeks installed: TIG welded new I/C, 3" Berkley high flow mandrel bend exhaust, EGR plate (fitted at exhaust manifold), Finished VDO gauge install today: Oil Press mech, EGT Pryo (dump pipe), Boost mech. ProVent 200 fitted (info only).

Boost take off is at MAP sensor with short length 4mm hose into T block fitting secured to eng top cover front RH bracket (where the cover no longer resides). One outlet for boost gauge and other currently blocked as this is for Dawes. Thought I would see how eng is running before fitting Dawes and Needle valve purchased from mudski. VDO line restrictor fitted at boost gauge end.

Anyway tonight keen to fire up eng (remained stationary), warmed engine @ idle and No boost reading, increased revs to 1400rpm where the needle just moved (MAP 106kPa), 1700rpm 2psi (MAP 114kPa), 2000rpm 4psi (MAP 120kPa), 2700rpm 10psi (MAP 163kPa), 3000rpm 14psi held revs and noticed that boost dropped gradually to approx 6psi over few seconds. Gave it the stick a bit 3500-4000rpm rapid rise of boost to approx 15 psi and drops away again. EGT @ 18 Deg C and ECT @ 85 Deg nom (info only).

Before current mods, eng would give MAP of say up to 200kPa slight load and normally run 140-180 kPa. Did note after 3" exhaust fitted 2 weeks ago, the MAP would hit 240 kPa but seems to have come back a bit and the Fault code with plate occurred a few days initially but has stayed away since.

Engine done 107,000km owned since new 2008, serviced and all maintenance done myself since 10,000km. Has never been on dyno.

Eng sound good and runs smooth. What do you think some guidance with boost performance would be great? A bit lost at the moment.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I were you bud. Don't look too hard into it as much as you are. Fit up the Dawes and needle valve and then go from there. The Dawes and needle valves will change the motors performance greatly and your current findings will be null. The boost readings you have are with the car stationary. Your best off getting readings will the car is moving and under physical load.
    But it seems to me your on the ball and know what you are doing.

Have fun.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. will fit Dawes & needle valve tomorrow. See how it goes, Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If I were you bud. Don't look too hard into it as much as you are. Fit up the Dawes and needle valve and then go from there. The Dawes and needle valves will change the motors performance greatly and your current findings will be null. The boost readings you have are with the car stationary. Your best off getting readings will the car is moving and under physical load.
    But it seems to me your on the ball and know what you are doing.

Have fun.
    Last NADS install activity today. This arvo fitted Dawes and Needle valve, after initial needle set to get 1/4" drop of VNT Rod, out the dirt road we went and engine was very sluggish working hard to get boost above 6 psi, gradually screwing in needle a bit and got turbo bit more responsive with max boost only 10psi about 8psi @ 100km. Then started (incrementally) to wind in Dawes 3/4 turn (total about) and a small amount of needle in (total movement in 1.5 graduations clockwise) gave max boost peak of 16psi with cruising @100km gave 12-14psi and 16psi @ 110km + a bit say 3100rpm (on the main sealed road). Will play some more but she is quite responsive and barking well. Then heading back home on dirt, up a solid climb where it use to just hold its own in 4th now I needed to back her off near the crest on the bend. Cool as she goes now with all NADS mods incorporated.

The forum threads read dating back to 2013 have been very useful, thanks all.
    Gauges.jpgDawes-Needle Install.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

mudski (25th August 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top job mate. You will find the sweet spot when tuning the valves. where it performs best. The higher the boost the better. And the max boost a nd cruise boost are relative to each other. So, when you raise or lower the max boost, the cruise boost needs to be adjusted accordingly. EG, 16psi max and 10psi at 100ks, 18psi max and 12psi at 100ks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (26th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stationary revving & subsequent boost readings don't mean much as there is no load ( as MUDSKI said ) , no load is why they dropped off straight away , sounds like you've got your head around it anyway 👍🏼

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

Bidja (26th August 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudski, noted your advice and will play later today. Came across this thread just now (good stuff):

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...oost-with-nads

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Top job mate. You will find the sweet spot when tuning the valves. where it performs best. The higher the boost the better. And the max boost a nd cruise boost are relative to each other. So, when you raise or lower the max boost, the cruise boost needs to be adjusted accordingly. EG, 16psi max and 10psi at 100ks, 18psi max and 12psi at 100ks.
    Load Boost run #2 today, before taking off compressed up the Dawes 1.5 turns, achieved max boost of 20psi and 16/17 psi @ say 100km cruise (notices slight gauge pulse buzz as coming off max boost). Gave good spool up rate, good acceleration/pwr but gauge needle was a bit bouncy at top reading but settled quickly (22 back to 20psi). Was a bit concerned re max boost level even though eng performed well. OK then started seriously playing, reduced Dawes max boost to 18psi and cruise boost was around 15psi then started opening up the needle valve and playing with both Dawes and needle, ended up with stable max boost of 18psi and cruise boost 13 psi at 100kph. If I backed off the needle much more things became a bit sluggish. Did notice a consistent slight gauge buzz always present when ever boost pressures was above cruise boost. Spool up rate, acceleration and power all good. Never experienced limp through out testing. EGT: Need to confirm. Interested in feedback.
    Last edited by Bidja; 26th August 2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: EGT error, need to confirm

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Load Boost run #2 today, before taking off compressed up the Dawes 1.5 turns, achieved max boost of 20psi and 16/17 psi @ say 100km cruise (notices slight gauge pulse buzz as coming off max boost). Gave good spool up rate, good acceleration/pwr but gauge needle was a bit bouncy at top reading but settled quickly (22 back to 20psi). Was a bit concerned re max boost level even though eng performed well. OK then started seriously playing, reduced Dawes max boost to 18psi and cruise boost was around 15psi then started opening up the needle valve and playing with both Dawes and needle, ended up with stable max boost of 18psi and cruise boost 13 psi at 100kph. If I backed off the needle much more things became a bit sluggish. Did notice a consistent slight gauge buzz always present when ever boost pressures was above cruise boost. Spool up rate, acceleration and power all good. Never experienced limp through out testing. EGT: Need to confirm. Interested in feedback.
    Sorry mate. Just go home form work not long ago....
    I have the opinion of dont worry too much about boost bounce. Especially if the vehicle drives well. 20psi is fine too. These motors will handle the higher boost pressure of up to around 25psi. My 3Ltr was at 25psi max and 18psi at 100ks. And it loved it. Went really well. The needle valve was almost closed right off too. I tried it at over 30psi, my boost gauge went to 30 and the needle was past this, and it was unbelievable, but speaking with a turbo mob that sells modified versions of the stock turbo, said the stock turbos limit is 25psi before they start to fail real quick.
    Keep the two boost levels around the 6psi mark apart. Give or take a psi or two. But like I said. You will find the sweet spot. Each motor varies.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Run #3 yesterday, snowed here @ 620m and adjusted boost amongst the falling flakes. Started off Boost max 22psi /18psi cruise and went very well. Would run higher but took note of info re: max 25psi turbo limit). Wound back to a max boost 21psi and 14psi @ 100kph (slight load) ran very well eng seemed to like it and no gauge needle bounce (may close needle a little more). EGTs after eng working for 1hr: idle (700rpm) 200 degC, cruise 14psi @100ks 325 degC and max boost slight load 21psi @110kph 375degC. No limp anytime throughout adjustments.

What do think, Max Boost OK or bring it back (thinking of turbo)?
    Any advice or lessons learnt on high boost levels and their effect on low range work?

Trust you wired up that broken exhaust brkt, thanks for you time mate.
    Last edited by Bidja; 28th August 2017 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast