Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Boost Guidance Needed GU CRD- Progressing thru NADS

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps, hoping that bigguwesty Kallen will chime in since he is nearby for a guide as to which places to help with exhaust/pyro bung etc
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Do understand and working thru the variations provides for good learning..

Have run 18-21psi max boost / cruise boost 12-13psi @ 100kph. Severe limp @ long hill hauls. Avoid limp open needle too laggy.

Dawes above 16psi get limp (long hauls).

Best to date:
    Set Dawes Max Boost 15.5+psi / open needle 0.95 turn to just float turbo arm. Ended up max boost 15.5psi / 0.8 turns of needle with cruise boost of 13psi @ 100kph (good spool rate and responsive). No limp to date.
    Yeah bugger. My 3ltr was the same. Anything over 16psi I got limp mode. There is volt mod tricks you can do to the maf to overcome limp mode. Never done it but plenty have with success. A remap will do this too but for the price of a remap, no thanks.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shantillylais View Post
    thanks guys, I just bought the kit on ebay from Northern4x4, now I see that is mudski
    I cant do the pyro yet until I can get an exhaust place to do it for me, normally I would do it but hurt my hip and lower back so reaching over the mudguard and crawling on the floor is a bit hard atm for this impatient grey haired old chick LOL. What I have noticed is the approx. 2lb pressure difference in boost between the gauge and the scan gauge. The normal gauge is plumbed into the inlet pipe of the intercooler, dont know where the scan gauge gets its reading from. cheers Lana
    Lana if your intercooler is the original. Have a real close look at it for leaks. If you have any boost leaks at all, no matter how small, there is no chance of setting up the valves. Do you need a weld in bung for the exhaust pyro? I have 1/8 npt weld in bungs. If you want one, let me know via eBay messaging before 12pm Friday and I'll chuck one in.

Thanks for your order too. Its greatly appreciated.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

shantillylais (15th September 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a nice offer thank you mudski but yes I have one. I am also making enquiries about a intercooler upgrade even tho' there doesn't seem to be any leaks at this point.
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shantillylais For This Useful Post:

mudski (15th September 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the kit arrived today mudski super quick thanks, have the pyro in now, taking it for a spin this afternoon to see what its doing before I start on the install of the kit. thanks again.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shantillylais For This Useful Post:

Hodge (18th September 2017), mudski (20th September 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mudski sending you a pm, hope its ok.
    after a hic-up with my pyro, took it for a cruise down the highway at 100km on cruise. Boost was varying all over, but mostly around 15psi, pyro was about 300.
    then took it up our one and only hill, about 75m rise over a 1km distance, so reasonably steep.
    on cruise at 110km, pyro hit 475, and boost was 22, but dropped back to 10 as I got almost to the top of the hill. I lost maybe 5km/hr up the hill but wanted to see how it went basically standard except for the exhaust.
    next step will be the dawes and needle, and where to put the needle for ease of adjustment.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shantillylais For This Useful Post:

mudski (20th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shantillylais View Post
    the kit arrived today mudski super quick thanks, have the pyro in now, taking it for a spin this afternoon to see what its doing before I start on the install of the kit. thanks again.
    Lana, Did you get around to installing the dawes and needle valve and would be interested in what boost values you acheived with no limp.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah bugger. My 3ltr was the same. Anything over 16psi I got limp mode. There is volt mod tricks you can do to the maf to overcome limp mode. Never done it but plenty have with success. A remap will do this too but for the price of a remap, no thanks.
    With the passing of time, good info from this forum, other place along with a better understanding of my CRD manual boost control, I am satisfied with current run result:

Just did a trip to mtns total climb 600m over 150km run (some decent long hauls) getting max boost 17/17.5 psi at 100k/h (2500 rpm) and holding that boost level as revs decreased and where the speed did occasionally increase (long haul), the max boost went to 18psi @ 2800rpm. Cruise boost @ 100k/h (slight load) of 15-16psi. EGTs, cruise say 325-400 degC and on long haul solid work 600-680 odd deg C. Lower cruise boost with OEM ecu mapping proves to be too sluggish for me. Did some low range work, the torque increase and response at low revs is impressive compared to before NADS install. Next will likely do ECU remap.

Also, I use a throttle control unit that does effectively reduce throttle lag and provides real time quicker pwr response but it is worth noting that the rate of response differential is not as noticeable now since NADS install but remains effective and do adjust it for various driving conditions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

mudski (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Remapped CRD ECU Boost Adjust Question

Successful Manual Boost adjust for Stock ECU
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Imo the needle will stuff with dawes if you have it open to much and 1/4 start point off the limit screw is way to much, no wonder it was laggy as hell.
    You want the arm to literally just move off the screw stopper.
    But to set max boost close the needle completely.

So imo close the needle valve, set max boost (rev out to 3500rpm for max boost)
    Once your happy then open the needle until the turbo arm just floats off the adjustment screw..
    This should give you a 2-3 psi drop while cruzing..
    Imo any more and its laggy down low and cruzing egts are to high as the ecu is off setiing boost with fuel to get the power needed..
    Kallen, ECPT returned my ECU yesterday as they did a postal remap of my 08 CRD stock ECU. I have set Dawes to provide a Max Boost of 21psi with needle closed (No limp to date hauling). ECPT recommend 20-22 psi Max Boost and state that the AFR will be around 22:1.

Cruise Boost From what I am observing, I can confidentially achieve a 6-7 psi drop for cruise boost but I feel it is too laggy low down in revs. Question: Should I adjust the needle valve in the same manner as was done for the stock ecu as you advised?
    open the needle until the turbo arm just floats off the adjustment screw..
    Thanks, John

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (31st October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Successful Manual Boost adjust for Stock ECU

Kallen, ECPT returned my ECU yesterday as they did a postal remap of my 08 CRD stock ECU. I have set Dawes to provide a Max Boost of 21psi with needle closed (No limp to date hauling). ECPT recommend 20-22 psi Max Boost and state that the AFR will be around 22:1.

Cruise Boost From what I am observing, I can confidentially achieve a 6-7 psi drop for cruise boost but I feel it is too laggy low down in revs. Question: Should I adjust the needle valve in the same manner as was done for the stock ecu as you advised?
    Thanks, John
    It's a fine balance act that's for sure.
    Try closing needle a little. It'll increase the curzing boost a bi t but also make it a bit perkier down low.
    However have a look over the vacume system. Make sure all the hoses are in good order. When working with big boost you want full vacume to play with..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bidja (31st October 2017)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast