sooty Note bigguwesty comments.

Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
Sorry Bidja i do remember reading that yesterday now, I've just been reading a lot of threads over the last few days. Why i was asking about the egr is that I've read that it opens up while cruising and boost pressure drops. I have not blocked mine yet. Do you think this could be a factor as to why I'm not getting 10 psi at 100km/hr in 5th gear. Because i did get 10 psi at some points on flat road but it would drop down to about 7-8 psi
All good sooty, as stated by many, blocking EGR is a worthwhile mod. Also you would have read that if you retain EGR function you can use dawes as a boost limiter so to reduce boost spikes and retain VNT control solenoid. Understand that you can retain EGR and have full manual boost control and bypass the VNT solenoid. There are a lot of members on the forum that know a lot more than me on this.

Regarding your low boost (7-8 psi @ 100 kph in 5th gear) you may have your needle valve open too far. Mark the needle valve housing note where it is currently set and screw needle in until it seats (record turns). Then come back to where you are now and screw it in half way and see what you get a cruise and then start adjusting in smaller increments from there to what you think runs best for you. Screwing needle in will probably increase spool up and cruise boost (you may get limp), if you do get limp then open needle gradually until you are happy with spool up and response. Remember at cruise have eng under slight load for boost measurements. Hope I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

Personally, I would do as I originally suggested: set dawes max boost 15-16psi (without limp) with needle fully closed, when happy with max boost then adjust needle for turbo arm just to float off adjustment screw.

See how you go.