Thread: Overheating when towing

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overheating when towing

Our 1998 GU petrol/gas TI has begun to overheat when towing. We have had the thermostat replaced twice (to make sure that wa asnt faulty, 28 yr old radiator cap replaced, radiator fan and clutch replaced and all hoses replaced. se have been told the next thing is to service radiator @$600 or fix a cracked head $3000. We have had Penrose test for cracked head but the result sas negative although they did say some GUs dont show up in this test. Currently it overheats from standing to acceleration eg after stopping at an intersection but comes down again after awhile. Has anyone got any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum. Please head over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself and your Patrol.

Is the fan clutch ok? Check it by giving the fan a spin. It should stop at most 1/2 a turn. Have you got all of the original fairing on the radiator?

You may have a build up of mud and leaves in the bottom portion of the radiator fins.
    Last edited by mudnut; 19th August 2017 at 05:11 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Robyn , is yours an auto or manual ? What is the weight of the thing your towing and is it a recent purchase .

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i have no idea,so i'll just say welcome to the forum....and there's a heap of knowledge here...
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Mudnut said, check the fins in the radiator. My GU was overheating a bit & after removing the shroud & pressure cleaning the radiator, problem solved. Surprised at the amount of dirt & grass seeds that came out.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did you have a 28 year old rad cap on a 19 yo car? Typo?

Anyhoow... I'd say it is almost 100% chance the bottom fins on the rad are choked with bugs, mud and general crud and the Rad core blocked.
    I would pull the Rad out and get a newbie/exchange/recore or at least get the old core rodded out depending on your budget and what you find with it out
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with ET - but I would not spend any money on a 20 year old radiator. Mine is an aftermarket alloy which is thicker and more efficient than the OEM, and it was around the $400 mark.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced the radiator in the GU because of overheating and it did Diddy squat , had system flushed and still the same , worse when towing up steep hills or on hot days while towing .
    Going up to the lookout at Townsville not towing it boiled by the time I got to the top , new water pump , new radiator and full service , fan checked and ok so thinking old motor with a fair few Kay's on the clock might be the problem .