Thread: 2013 GU Patrol Fuel Consumption

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 GU Patrol Fuel Consumption

My 2013 GU Patrol 3.00 L intercooled turbo has done about 93 000 kilometres.
    I believe that the distance covered per twin tanks of 125 litres has dropped from about 1 100 kilometres to below 1 000 kilometres with no difference in the type of driving.
    I have put in a new air filter and used Comey's injector cleaner with no difference to consumption. Mechanic has discovered that the intercooler is leaking as is the turbo gasket.
    Any suggestions as to what might be the cause and will the leaking intercooler and the leaking turbo gasket account for this apparent drop?
    Appreciatively,
    Peter Schellolepsis.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not getting 1000 out of mine, but loosing air would cost some power & you would use more fuel to get the same power at the wheels.
    Graham

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure of your driving style Peter, or what modifications you have, but 1000 out of both tanks is fairly good economy. Not sure I have ever got more than that but mine is a little modified from standard.

The leaks will change things a little, and make it a little more inefficient, but I wouldn't think the economy loss would be that much.

For my money I would be happy with that fuel consumption. If you are really worried about the fuel consumption costs, you could also think of it this way ..... a new intercooler and turbo gasket will cost you approx $1000 to fix, so at $16 more fuel cost for each 1000 kilometres, you could spend the money to 'fix' the fuel economy loss and you might then finally recoup your fuel savings in around 63,000 Kilometres ( or three years of normal driving ), but possibly end up still have the same economy figures that you are currently getting anyway.

I would fix the leaking intercooler by replacing it with a better quality aftermarket one, to prevent dust from potentially being sucked in where it shouldn't, but I think the turbo gasket would be squealing like a stuck pig if it was leaking and causing an issue.
    Last edited by happygu; 14th August 2017 at 02:11 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...