Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Not really. The snake bite kit is marketed to bush users. Hunters, bush walkers, 4wder. The bandage specifically is for a compression bandage to help achieve optimal compression tension. It is said that it will also help a solo person apply the bandage easily.

Interestingly, this bandage is particularly suitable to Australia. World wide there are a number of treatments for snake bites and not all snakes and spiders have venom that is suitable for a compression bandage. If you get it wrong a compression bandage will be detrimental.

Luckily in Australia ALL Snakes require a compression bandage and ALL Spiders EXCLUDING the Funnel Web and Mouse Spiders all require a compression bandage.

For the benefit of the members.

The treatment for any snake bite in Australia and most spider bites is to identify the bite location before applying the compression bandage.

The snake venom of all Australian snakes does not attack the blood so a tourniquet to the upper limb is a waste of time. The venom travels through the lymphatic fluid so total compression on the limb is essential.

Once the bite site is located take note of its location. DO NOT clean the bite and leave any venom, blood or fluid present on the skin and apply the compression bandage to the entire limb. If available apply a second bandage over the top to the length of the limb. Using a texta or pen clearly Mark on the bandage exactly where the bite site is so that it can be located by medical staff without removing the bandage.

Immobilize the patient and send for help.

When the patient arrives at hospital the medical staff will leave the compression bandage in place and pull aside or cut the bandage only around the bite site and test any fluid to determine the type of venom. It is imperative to treat with the antivenom prior to removing the compression bandage and limit the effect of the lymphatic flow.

This is the same.for spider bites.

Stay safe folks.
    I nearly bought the kit but the only thing i'm missing is the SAM splint so thinking I might just buy that separately. I already have their expedition first aid with a couple of the SMART snake bandages
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lucus30 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (12th August 2017)