Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Snake Bite First Aid Kit

Worth having in your Patrol, just ordered one
    https://survivalfirstaid.worldsecure...snake-bite-kit
    Use SNAKE as the Discount Code and receive 10% off
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

Clunk (10th August 2017), jack (10th August 2017), MB (11th August 2017), mudnut (11th August 2017), MudRunnerTD (10th August 2017), PeeBee (10th August 2017), Sir Roofy (12th August 2017), Touses (11th August 2017), VK2FMIA (11th August 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    Worth having in your Patrol, just ordered one
    https://survivalfirstaid.worldsecure...snake-bite-kit
    Use SNAKE as the Discount Code and receive 10% off
    Thanks, just bought one. Looking for one now for 'camel bite' and 'aphid bite', as you just can't be too prepared can you! Good find.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought one the other day actually. You might have seen it on my news feed on Facebook doggy.

I did a 1st aid courses yesterday and when the guy was talkm ing about compound bandages for snake bites I mentioned this one with the square. He smiled at me and pulled one out of his bag and said he'd been teaching 1st aid for st John for 30 years and I was the first person ever to ask about this type of bandage. Lol. He was a big fan. I'm waiting on the kit to arrive.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Stropp (11th August 2017), Woof (11th August 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a serious note, have you seen a shark bite kit, which i guess would have a fair amount of absorbtion bandages and maybe a blood clotting pack? Thought this would be equally as important, but equally as specific as the snake bite kit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    on a serious note, have you seen a shark bite kit, which i guess would have a fair amount of absorbtion bandages and maybe a blood clotting pack? Thought this would be equally as important, but equally as specific as the snake bite kit.
    May as well pack a few units of blood and a cannula kit too??? ;-)
    However, you've just reminded me to source an Israeli Bandage (or similar) for my kit tho.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrosty View Post
    May as well pack a few units of blood and a cannula kit too??? ;-)
    However, you've just reminded me to source an Israeli Bandage (or similar) for my kit tho.
    I hear you, but not all bite victims die from the event especially if you can reduce the blood loss via compression. Whats an Israeli bandage?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you. You have reminded me to put the snake bite bandages I have already got, in the Patrol and farm ute.

Shark bite kit:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you, but not all bite victims die from the event especially if you can reduce the blood loss via compression. Whats an Israeli bandage?
    True. Compression is the key.
    Israeli Bandage started out as a military tourniquet - maybe available commercially/ domestically now - I found out about them on a CareFlight first responder course. Similar to/same as Combat Application Tourniquets (C-A-Ts). Designed for single handed use.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not really. The snake bite kit is marketed to bush users. Hunters, bush walkers, 4wder. The bandage specifically is for a compression bandage to help achieve optimal compression tension. It is said that it will also help a solo person apply the bandage easily.

Interestingly, this bandage is particularly suitable to Australia. World wide there are a number of treatments for snake bites and not all snakes and spiders have venom that is suitable for a compression bandage. If you get it wrong a compression bandage will be detrimental.

Luckily in Australia ALL Snakes and the Funnel Web and Mouse Spiders require a compression bandage and ALL Other Spiders all require an ice pack and immobilization for relief and monitor. If the patient get a worse seek medical attention.

For the benefit of the members.

The treatment for any snake bite in Australia and Funnel Web and Mouse Spider bites is to identify the bite location before applying the compression bandage.

The snake venom of all Australian snakes does not attack the blood so a tourniquet to the upper limb is a waste of time. The venom travels through the lymphatic fluid so total compression on the limb is essential.

Once the bite site is located take note of its location. DO NOT clean the bite and leave any venom, blood or fluid present on the skin and apply the compression bandage to the entire limb. If available apply a second bandage over the top to the length of the limb. Using a texta or pen clearly Mark on the bandage exactly where the bite site is so that it can be located by medical staff without removing the bandage.

Immobilize the patient and send for help.

When the patient arrives at hospital the medical staff will leave the compression bandage in place and pull aside or cut the bandage only around the bite site and test any fluid to determine the type of venom. It is imperative to treat with the antivenom prior to removing the compression bandage and limit the effect of the lymphatic flow.

This is the same.for Funnel Web and Mouse spider bites.

Stay safe folks.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th August 2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

jack (12th August 2017), mudnut (11th August 2017), PeeBee (11th August 2017), Stropp (11th August 2017), Woof (12th August 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of shark bite kits specifically refined for this emergency. They are being rolled out at beaches around Australia as standard kit, so if you play around on the beaches it might be a worthwhile extension to your first aid kit. I have extended my kit with additional modules for burns, eye injuries and fractures, plus purchased a defibrillator unit as well. Now I have the snake kit and will consider the shark bite kit down the track when we start travelling more to coastal areas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast