Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter question regards arc welder use

I have purchased a small solid state arc welder off ebay, specifically for emerg repairs whilst travelling. It is a Lumix brand, circa $120, 0 - 160amp variable, 10 AMP plug. Its a cheapie but the first low cost. once in a lifetime use welder in this bracket.

I have a 3000W pure sine wave inverter, 6000w surge for 20 secs. I tried the welder this weekend and it barely raises a spark from even a 1.6mm rod running off the inverter. If I plug it into the mains, running off a 10amp fuse, welds beautifully.

Whats going on here? I know there is a temp amp rise at strike, however the inverter is not tripping out, simply appears to not have the 'power' to let this operate.

Appreciate any technical help I can get on this, and any alternate units that have been run off inverters. I have a 24-35V gasless mig welder already but its a handful getting the batteries connected etc and its large in size. this unit is not much bigger than a tissue box.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds weird , is your inverter a elcheapo or cheap , the one I bought for the van would run the aircon unit no problem just not for more than 15 minutes .
    I'll try my welder tomorrow on the car inverter it's also 3000 watt but elcheapo unit and see what happens .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (6th August 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Sounds weird , is your inverter a elcheapo or cheap , the one I bought for the van would run the aircon unit no problem just not for more than 15 minutes .
    I'll try my welder tomorrow on the car inverter it's also 3000 watt but elcheapo unit and see what happens .
    Its a chinese one, I think I paid around $500 - $600 for it. Pure sine wave, runs the 1700W coffee machine easily, power tools. I am wondering why it failed so dismally, and it appears to be operating well, fed directly off a 200A/Hr battery and 14.6V.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was about that price but the one I have now was about $250? Ish .
    I'll let you know if mine works but failing that is there any chance your earth was shitty when going through the inverter ?
    Did you try cranking the amps up?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (6th August 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Mine was about that price but the one I have now was about $250? Ish .
    I'll let you know if mine works but failing that is there any chance your earth was shitty when going through the inverter ?
    Did you try cranking the amps up?
    Dismal effect at all amperages. Vehicle is very well earthed, all connections used with conductive paste, and multiple around the vehicle - focus on ground plane effect for amateur radio use, so I think that,s not a focus area. I didn't have a problem with the coffee machine last time I used it either. I tried each of the three power outlets, but same outcome. However stranger things have happened, so I will hook up a jumper lead between the inverter earth, which goes to a body post, then to the battery, and run direct from inverter earth to battery. Away for the week again starting tomorrow, so will have to wait until next weekend for this unfortunately. Might be another great idea that fails in the detail due to some simple and fundamental oversight! Typical for me to be honest.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your only chasing a stick welder why don't you just do a 24v setup.on a needs basis. Pull out the batteries and gook up to 24v with jumper leads or make purpose leads. Positive on the job and stick in the neg wire and your good to go.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This direct shorting of the battery buggers them in a very short period of time. Depending on the construction and age you could do permanent damage very quickly. The mig welder runs on either 24 or better 36v but it protects the battery integrity. I must admit I have tried this but had limited success. Hence looking for something that doesn't destroy itself if you get my meaning. Also there is no current regulation with this setup and I am guessing there might be times when a bit of fineness is required, such as thin metal repair or at the opposite a temp structural weld of quality

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (6th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd have thought though you really only want the welder for the break down emergency. Your never going to set this up to undertake a project weld job surely? on that basis carrying a full sized welder in the car seems silly? also if you get the welding job done and your battery gets you home then its done its job. If it last another year then its even better.

When i did the Madigan TK in 2012 the hill with us had a shock collapse and break in the middle of nowhere. We has a 24v mig with us an it did the job with ease and ran off one of my batteries and a second from another car. I replaced that battery only last week. I put in on charge yesterday and the smart charger said it was fully charged..

I think for touring a set of Jumper leads will do the job you need and get you home. I like your idea but it seems like overkill.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, but you might have missed the comment this welder is the size of a tissue box, which is 1/4 the size of the 24v gas less mig in case. Right now I want to understand why it won't work, and then assess if I stay with it or it goes into the garage

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th August 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren, just remembered my 24V mig, which is a Ready Welder 2, protects the batteries from internal arcing, hence if this was the same style of welder you used, would explain why perhaps there was no damage to the cells and your battery life remained unaffected.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th August 2017)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast