Hey guys,

Desperately need some advice and or help please. Despite running brilliantly, my fuel consumption (Carbied RB30), has been getting steadily worse for some time... I just topped the tank up and it used a staggering 26.5 litres per hundred for low revs / stress 2wd suburban driving.

I cannot keep up with such huge fuel usage, particularly when it doesn't have the power / torque normally associated with that kind of fuel bill... It's no TB48. It also means that even with my long range (147 litre) tank, I cannot get more than the high 500 kilometre mark from a tank, which sucks!

I can't think what else to check, I've gone over the mix, (near perfect and carby only professionally rebuilt late last year), timing, vac advance, filters, new oil, distributor cap, rotor, new spark plugs correctly gapped, leads aren't old, took the foam sock off the snorkel, drove it hard, drove it gently, loaded, unloaded checked tire pressures, rotated tires, don't seem to have dragging brakes etc etc.

I must be missing something, but I can't think what could be causing such high figures all the time. I love my patrol and don't want to even consider selling it but nothing seems to improve it, best I've had for a while has been around 20-21 litres per hundred and not often...

Now I do have a 2 and a bit inch lift, and 32 inch BFG's (around 20k on them), and a rhino roof rack. It has a safari snorkel, and extractors, but otherwise is a stock engine. That said, these things haven't changed and my usage figures used to be somewhere around 17-18 MAX.

I have had conversations with a mechanic or two now, and had the car looked at, but they couldn't offer any other ideas, and I can't afford right now to start replacing parts that don't need replacing if it doesn't fix the problem. I don't expect to be doing any serious fuel economy runs, but it is ridiculous now and making me a bit crazy...

Sorry, rant over, Does anyone have any other ideas or can someone recommend a really good mechanic in Perth who can actually resolve the problem? I don't mind paying to have it fixed, but I don't want to pay for non-fixes. Please.........