Thread: Flexi coils shock length ????

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flexi coils shock length ????

Hi all, maybe a noob question here but I can't find the exact answer to my question.

I want to put a set of 3" raised Dobinsons Flexi coils in now and do the shocks later. My reading leads me to believe the best shock length for 3" Flexi coils in my LWB Maverick is 4" front and 6" rear. My question is when people say 6" shocks, do they mean shocks suitable for a 6" lift ? So I can just buy any shocks suitable for a 6" lift ?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not really mate. You will be on the limit running stock shocks and 3" coil though so avoid off road work or wait and save.

You should wait until the coils are in then measure the distance between your top and bottom mount of your rear shocks. Once tou have this messurement you should buy a shock where this messurement is about halfway through the shock travel. If you match it this way you will have equal up and down travel.

If your shock is too long then it will be nearly closed when sitting and you will have very limited up travel and your bump stops will not work and you c would smash your shocks. They will be very long on the down stroke and will either be great or the coil drops out.....
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd August 2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for the clarification. Sounds like springs and shocks are better bought together so the supplier can advise on recommended shock lengths etc. I'll hold off on buying the springs for now.

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have suggestions for my particular needs ? Used only on weekends for 4WDing, not carrying any load, want max flex, lowest cost.

I only paid a few grand for the truck so don't want to spend thousands on suspension. After 3" lift with good flex. Like I said it's not my daily so I'm only after Offroad bang for buck.

Cheers
    Last edited by 91Mavman; 4th August 2017 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Mavman View Post
    Anyone have suggestions for my particular needs ? Used only on weekends for 4WDing, not carrying any load, want max flex, lowest cost.

I only paid a few grand for the truck so don't want to spend thousands on suspension. After 3" lift with good flex. Like I said it's not my daily so I'm only after Offroad bang for buck.

Cheers
    How much do you want to spend. It will all add up, once you've bought springs, shocks, adjustable panhards, draglink, drop boxes, adjustable control arms etc.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was going to be too difficult to get it working the way I want and save $$$ at the same time. Decided to order one of these kits.

https://www.superiorengineering.com....filter=251,355

I assume they will offer longer shocks when they call me to confirm spring rates and vehicle usage etc ? Their branded shocks from 2"-6" are all the same price.
    Last edited by 91Mavman; 8th August 2017 at 03:57 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Superior Engineering called and they have matched the 3" springs with 4" shocks. I assume I'll need to extend bumpstops so I don't wreck the shocks. Can anyone provide guidance on approx how much I would need to extend them front and rear ? Or should they be ok with standard bumpstops ?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have to measure your clearence between the bump stop and the diff(if any)when installed at full up travel. Make sure you leave a safety margin as the bump stop will compress
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT