Thread: Vibration when braking

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vibration when braking

I have a 2008 GU Patrol, 3lt CRTD. It currently has a 2" Tough Dog Lift and RTC Steering Damper.

My partner and I recently (ok...Dec 16) took a kid free trip up to Dargo. It was this trip that i noticed that when braking a bad vibration would occur through the steering. This only happened when i braked. No...not the ABS kicking in. I am talking about normal braking. So upon our return, I checked for loose wheel bearings, etc. Nope...not that. So, in the mechanic it went.

Discovered that the disc rotors required machining. So that was done, and new pads fitted. (Only to the front, mind you.) This seemed to fix the problem...for a few weeks. Then the problem came back.

So after a lengthy chat with the Diesel Mechanic Son....we decided to remove the Swivel Hub Bearing Shims. I had my son inspect the bearings and they were fine. That seemed to tighten up the steering somewhat.

However, the vibration is back again.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the issue might be?

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you weren't getting any wobble during normal driving then I would say you can probably disgard bearings, tyres/wheels balancing...... I'm no mechanic but I'd say it would be to do with the braking system somewhere, whether it's warped or loosed rotors, issue with calipers or pads. I know it's not the same car but my missus had the same issue with vibration under braking in her little Jazz, all bolts and screws were tight, pads looked good, even wear and plenty of life left in them, but I changed them anyway. No more vibration

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If machining the rotors fixed it before, albeit for a short time, id be checking them again. They could have incorrect run out or even a fault in the disc that is making them wear unevenly. Check the entire brake setup. the calipers may be loose or off center or something.
    https://www.bendix.com.au/news/brake...and-how-fix-it
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Put the shims back in.

Did you do any river crossing up at dargo? Warped disks are very common when you do big hill desents then a river crossing with hot brakes.

I agree the warped rotor mau have sprung furthe when it got hot. Could be a tie rod end but I reckon it's the rotors. I have had the same thing a few times
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $280ish will get you slotted new rotors and pads .just put

DBA T2 Slotted Rear Rotors & Brembo Brake Pads NISSAN PATROL GU Y61 4.2 TD42 in mine hardly worth getting old ones refaced .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !