Thread: GQ td 2.8

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ td 2.8

hi everyone my im Geoff from Kyabram vic i just picked up my new second hand 96 GQ long wheel base 2.8 td yesterday 29/7/17 it has done 265000 ks
    it drives pretty good it has a couple of small things wrong power steering leak left hand front hub leaking and a leak from something that is bolted to the top of the rocker cover
    im hoping to keep it for another 265000 ks and just wondering if anyone can tell me what i need to do to the engine to make this happen
    do i need to blank off the egr if it has 1 and do a intake clean ??? not sure so any help would be great thank in advanced.
    I am going to set it up for touring with the odd 4x4 trips camping and fishing

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff, I had a 1997 TD2.8 from new and recently swapped out the motor. Immediate, noticeable improvement areas, where you will see gains are as follows, in my opinion of course.

1) change the aircleaner to a K&N and notice how it breathes much easier

2) get yourself a descent catch can to remove the muck from the inlet manifold or intercooler

3) block off the EGR

4) install an intercooler - front mount probably easier although some guys go to the effort of a top mount but you then need the bonnet scoop

5) if you are looking to tow anything heavier than a ham sandwich, forget it.

6) If you are looking to load it up with crap and take it into the Vic high country, consider a Marks reduction gearset for the transfer case. I had the 85% fitted and they transformed the vehicle, but, what you gain down low you will lose at the top end in low range. There is a guy here on the forum who has sorted out a group buy of 60% gears , and these might be a good compromise, but they are $1400 of there abouts plus fitting. In hindsights these have been a better option.

7) upgrade the fuel filter to a CAV or similar so you can monitor sediment and/or water build up in a clear bowl.

8) Consider a snorkle if not already fitted. Unfortunately the Safari Snorkle for the 2.8 is very expensive to buy as they come with a new filter housing, but depending on how hard you want to try, you could sort something out with the existing airfilter..

9) extend your diff breathers

10) this is but the start!!!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks PeeBee is there any threads on here on steps to blocking the EGR

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The harmonic balancer key stripping out seems to be a common fault with the RD28. Torquing the bolt occasionally should prevent that. If the timing belt is nearly due, it may be a good idea to bring that forward and check it now.
    Last edited by mudnut; 4th August 2017 at 10:48 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Nash View Post
    thanks PeeBee is there any threads on here on steps to blocking the EGR
    Geoff, its pretty simple. Undo the two bolts that clamp the housing, there may be a gasket that will require a bit of coaxing to seperate from the assy, then drop the blanking plate down between the split surfaces and do it up you only need to crack the faces perhaps 2-3mm to get enough room for this. The EGR blank plate I used had a self locating feature that aligned with the bolts. There might be a youtube clip on it - never know your luck.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any electrics that need disabling like air flow sensor or vacuum hoses ??? like i said the patrol is all new to me i just want to do things right and not cause damage

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Nash View Post
    is there any electrics that need disabling like air flow sensor or vacuum hoses ??? like i said the patrol is all new to me i just want to do things right and not cause damage
    Nothing Geoff, nice and simple tractor setup