Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VDO Pyro gauge instal

Hey there guru's
    I am installing my pillarpod and have VDO pyro and boost gauges.
    All pretty straight forward EXCEPT for the 5metre extension loom they supply for the pyro thermocouple. It has terminals on the thermocouple end, simple enough. But the gauge end has no terminals, and none supplied in the kit. So natural assumption is standard spade terminals crimped style. I know that I cannot solder the joint.

My big question is, (and I have searched Google for an hour and read heaps), there is conflicting opinions about cutting the 5 metre extension lead. My instructions do NOT have any written "instructions" about that. HOWEVER, when doing my google search, I came across some VDO instruction sheets that definitely "instructed" DO NOT CUT.

At almost 6 metres thermocouple to end of extension, that means one heck of a loop in the wire under the dash.

What have YOU done? BTW, other gauge types/instructions are irrelevant. I have installed other brands before but without this extension lead/wire.
    cheers
    Lana
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do Not Cut. It is a Calibrated length. I just coiled mine up and zip tied it out of the way in the engine bay.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto, mine is coiled up behind the glovebox because I came through the firewall on the passenger side.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, but interestingly today, I received a email from the supplier (VDO service agent) that it is ok to cut. That is why it isn't terminated at factory before supply. Now I am really concerned, so I called and emailed VDO Australia, and waiting a response. I will keep you informed cheers Lana
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shantillylais For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (29th July 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the VDO has some electronics in it so it is a high impedance indicator, so the total resistance of the thermocouple won't make much difference.
    If it was an old school pyrometer that indicates temperature even when the power is off it would be powered by the millivolts produced by the thermocouple & therefore you would need to have the correct length/resistance.
    In a perfect world the contacts that you crimp onto the wire would be made of the same material is the thermocouple wire, this is what they have for aircraft & the connectors are hellish expensive. As long as the crimps are right at the indicator where there is little or no difference in temperature from one side of the crimp to the other it will make very little difference.
    Graham

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GeeYou8 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th August 2017)