Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Intro - PureCaboose

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to sell the two Jeeps first, then the build thread comes.

Just putting together the plan at the moment....the Mrs has seen what I did with the Jeeps and is happy for me to build the patrol any way I like :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Welcome aboard mate and applaud your choice , Nissan did make a few GQs in diesel with an auto but are hard to find but great to drive .
    i shiver when i see this...sold mine for 6g all the fruit 2 yrs ago

welcome to the forum..PureCaboose
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going in for a blue slip on Monday, it's has been a long and shitty journey. Did the engine (finally) evacuating during the fires. It developed a severe pistol slap on cylinder 1, along with the low compression. So it came out and a new/rebuilt long block was ordered.

Once delivered to our local, friendly mechanic who had a fork lift who could get it off the truck and into our trailer it was off home. One of the bolts came out of the cradle on the trip home and the engine pivoted and ended up damaging the lower cooling entry casting near the oil pump. Not a big deal, just take off the timing cover/water pump back thingy and swap it over with the old one right?

Wrong, taking it off damaged the shitty head gasket that looked like it was made out of paper mache, dog hear and chewing gum came apart at the top where the head overlaps the timing cover. So off with the head and a new head gasket went on (genuine Nissan one this time, much nicer). While taking the sump off, rattle rattle rattle....WTF. There was a loose bolt in the sump. It looks toe size and thread of the bolts that hold on the bits under the timing cover, and I have all mine accounted for. I guess it fell in there during assembly at the engine builders.

Anyway, engine back together in my spare time (this took about 8 weeks to do), and engine is finally back in the vehicle and all the bits are back on. Just can't get the idle right, it has a weird misfire and a weird hunting at idle. Check for vacume leaks, take of the intake and reseat it again. Need this truck on the road now as the engine in the play car/track car that was now my daily just spun a bearing (sigh, 7k RPM will do that eventually) and I can't keep borrowing the Mrs truck.

Booked the blue slip in, got it to idle OK if a bit fast and it runs fine for the 20 or so minutes to warm it up so I can see the valves. Up and down the driveway (I have a steep driveway) and it is all OK. Night before the blue slip, a cheeky test drive around the block and guess what? The coil that has only got about 5000 km on it and only been in the car for 2 months of driving craps itself, dumps the oil out and refuses to work.

Ordered a Petronix coil to match the ignition systems thingy, installed and it now idles smooth. Got the mixture set, the idle set and finally booked it in again. Going to have a crack at the valves again on the weekend as #4 intake is still a bit noisy and I it annoys me.

Saga over (hopefully), and we should be back on the road early next week, touch wood.
    Greg Pointing
    Conservation, Rehabilitation & Education
    1989 GQ Patrol Wagon, TB42 Auto - Now with 2" of added lift...
    1991 Mazda MX5 - Coilovers, Exhaust, Intake, NB brakes & seats.
    2012 Mitsubishi Triton 4x4 Dual cab TDI - The Mrs truck....

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PureCaboose For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (23rd October 2020), jack (22nd October 2020), MB (22nd October 2020), PeeBee (22nd October 2020), Touses (23rd October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you were lucky the coil sh*t itself the way it did. You could have been hunting the cause of that poor idle for a long time.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12