Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery gear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery gear

We all know that 'oils aint oils' but is this the same with recovery gear?
    Big name brands are 2 x the price but are they any better than SC or Repco brands?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the supercheap ones since I bought the GQ with no trouble but I refuse to use the snatch strap , have used everything else though but mainly to pull trees out and help the odd Toyota .

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a read of this comparison test that was done a wee while ago

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/snatch-strap-comparison/

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (15th July 2017), MB (15th July 2017), MudRunnerTD (15th July 2017), VK2FMIA (15th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great read, thanks for the link Clunk!
    Recently replaced our old ARB with a new 'Mean Mother' brand, here's hoping it is a good!
    I'm assuming the old Tigerz11 horrible test results are the same strap as the new 4x4SupaCentre ones now maybe?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Great read, thanks for the link Clunk!
    Recently replaced our old ARB with a new 'Mean Mother' brand, here's hoping it is a good!
    I'm assuming the old Tigerz11 horrible test results are the same strap as the new 4x4SupaCentre ones now maybe?
    That test was a game changer and lead to Supercentre rebranding away from TigerzII to the Kings brand for everything. Another reason I hate them.....

I would not buy any of their recovery gear. I really see value in buying good gear to be honest. You dont use it much bit when you Do use it you car and often your life depends on it..... depend on a brand you Trust!

Skimp on other things like cheap rear drawers and cheap side awnings and cheap swags and cheap ass everything else. But buy the best Recovery Gear you can and learn how to use it. It will get you home.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (15th July 2017), Mc4by (15th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    snip...
    Big name brands are 2 x the price but are they any better than SC or Repco brands?
    Agree and it is in many (not all) cases unjustified, not because of quality but mainly by mark up.

Tip #1 - buy any mechanical gear like Shackles, blocks etc from rigging outlets like Nobles, Bullivants, etc.
    Tip #2 - synthetic rope is pretty much synthetic rope IE Dyneema, Amsteel, Spectra etc are identical for our purposes and available much cheaper on eBay or out of the US.
    Tip #3 - Straps and webbing, look for an industrial manufacturer who makes webbing for Mining, Transport and Lifting Industry, give them a ring and get a price, it can be 15 to 30 percent off retail and/or a better product than most.
    For example my Snatch Strap has anti-recoil straps sewn in so doesn't need dampers http://www.comsew.com.au/products/snatch-straps/

Bottom line is that apart from a appreciation gift (ARB still in its box) none of my equipment has been sourced from the Australian 4WD wallet emptying card maxing retailers
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (15th July 2017), GQtdauto (15th July 2017), gubigfish (15th July 2017), MB (15th July 2017), Mc4by (15th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have an ARB snatch strap and now I have a winch I was looking for the extension strap, snatch block and tree protector. Given these items are not put under 'shock' I thought the lesser known brands may suffice.
    Thanks #evil twin I will have a search on the net.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    For example my Snatch Strap has anti-recoil straps sewn in so doesn't need dampers http://www.comsew.com.au/products/snatch-straps/
    Wow, thanks ET mate! Honestly never knew this "Anti-Recoil" system/method/product existed!!
    What a fair dinkum simple and safe way to be doing a snatch recovery stress free!!!
    Cheers as always and again Thankyou!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question please ET mate. In their complete 4x4 advertised kit they have the 3.2T Tested Shackles for connection and also kit including 2.1T Tested Shackles for the 'Anti-Recoil' backup connection I'm assuming mate? Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Quick question please ET mate. In their complete 4x4 advertised kit they have the 3.2T Tested Shackles for connection and also kit including 2.1T Tested Shackles for the 'Anti-Recoil' backup connection I'm assuming mate? Cheers!
    Yep, you got it.
    I would assume any similar business would knock up something similar if you ask.
    I'm not sure many reccy users would get those kits as we tend to already have a few bits etc but they sell shytloads to the industrial/mining sector.

As an aside they were loading some humungus 'straps' for pulling out mining haul paks or somesuch when I was last there a few years ago.
    Jeez they were big.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (15th July 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast