Thread: Blinking battery light

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blinking battery light

Hi guys.
    Having a problem with my charging system. Couple weeks ago, on my way to town, my battery light stayed on all the way. I went straight to the electrician, who ended up servicing the alternator, including rewiring the rotor and new brushes. He also changed the slip rings.

The following week, I noticed the battery light flashed every time the car was turned off, or I slowed down. A couple days, in addition to that, sometimes after a ride over corrugations especially, the light would pulsate at idle.

I took it back to the electrician who tested the system and he didn't find any problem. What could be the cause of this ?
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you leccy is competent sounds like a loose wire .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    X2 with the loose wire or connector. After inspecting the wiring loom, battery connections and alternator lugs, do the knockometer test. Have someone sit in the driver's seat with the engine running. Use the handle of a screwdriver to tap the loom and back of the alternator (don't belt the hell out of it). Be bloody careful not to get caught up in any moving parts, or to short out anything.
    Hopefully the light will flash if you tap the right place. Also check the ignition switch.
    Last edited by mudnut; 14th July 2017 at 10:51 AM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the warning light is pulsating regularly at idle it might have a weak diode or possibly a short in the stator winding in the alternator.

Is the alternator making a growling type noise? What happens to the warning light if you increase the electrical load? Turn interior fans on high and put high beam on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. He is not the most competent electrician, to be honest. Kinda suspect something is loose too as it doesn't pulsate at idle all the time. Just after a drive on corrugations. When I turn on the light, the pulsating stops. Going to try your advice Mudnut. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to pull it done as it may be, as you say Yendor, a weak diode or the stator winding.
    1989 Nissan Patrol DX with the td42 (inline pump). No mods yet except black US 16x8 rims with 265 75 16 Ats

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your not confident in what the sparky has done it can lead to a lot more fault finding areas , the obvious is voltage output , earthing etc etc .
    I know my GQ wiring is getting old and brittle , mainly in the engine bay .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Lawrence (14th July 2017)