Thread: Crud in the fuel filter

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crud in the fuel filter

Howdy gents, just finished doing all the filters on my TD42t, first time I've owned this engine so still getting to know her intricacies.
    I replaced the fuel filter and popped off the bottom of it and tipped out the diesel into a container, I noticed some pretty big particulates in there, so the question is, is this normal?
    No idea when the last one was changed, but she's got 280k on the clock.
    All this came out of the bottom of the filter, the top was clear. IMG_3655.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like rust , any green looking stuff in the filter ?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed my fuel filters a couple of days ago. My CAV pre-filter contents looked much the same, with a fair bit of water too. I put it down to the fact that I have been draining the sub tank completely for the past few tanks to try to get an good idea of range. The water would be condensation, we've had some pretty cold weather lately. Pleased that the filter is doing it's job.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (13th July 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inside of the filter was pretty clean as you can see, but where the seal was it seemed like a bit of rust was forming on it.

Also i tend to do that with my sub tank as well, run it till it's empty but usually with the main I don't go down so low.

Well so long as I'm not the only one getting this stuff I'll sleep easier at night!
    Cheers!
    IMG_3653.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm .when you have nothing o do and feel like a challenge .
    Take the fuel tanks out and have a look in the bottom . Nissan fuel tanks rust!
    I was at the local injection shop ( I do there machining work ) and they had a heap of ols tanks waiting to go to the scrap .
    There was a lot of Nissan tanks . when I pulled mine out I soldered in a drain plug .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm that sounds like a barrel of fun! it may just be an excuse to fit in some long range tanks instead