Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poxy Sway Bar Links

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poxy Sway Bar Links

Hi fellas. 03 GU TD42i. Engineered 4" lift, 35" tyres.

I keep snapping sway bar links. I have Iron Man adjustable sway bar links all round. Had to go Iron Man because I was bending the little Road Safe adjustable links. So in the front I snapped the mounting bolts to the sway bar which buggered the Hemi joint as well. so I upgraded all the hemi joints to ball joint and now have snapped one of them. The rear I keep snapping the mounting bolt on the long link, but this time iv ripped the mounting hoop from sway bar to diff. Snapped the bolt and bent the hoop. I have tried adjusting the sway bar so the arm is level, slightly up and slightly down SO ???????.

Yes I know every1 is just going to say take them out, but its my family car when home and long distance tourer as well so I like it to be stable.

Has any1 gone to a different set up or ?????. Can take some pics when I get home Wednesday.

Any help appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slow down to 90 when you go around sharp bends ?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a 4inch lift also and never have issues. I'm guessing there is an underlying issue elsewhere causing this. Do you have drop boxes in the front and adjustable rear upper control arms? Adjustable panhard rods front and rear? what brand sway bars are they?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive only got a 2 inch lift (3 inch shocks) and having same issue, ive snapped links, one standard sway bar in half, and just last weekend did same as you ......

"ripped the mounting hoop from sway bar to diff. Snapped the bolt and bent the hoop"

And yes have also done same as you ..... "I have tried adjusting the sway bar so the arm is level"

I also want sway bars fitted for road use, and i thought about disconnects for the rear, but i honestly think the patrol suspension works better off road with the rear sway bar connected, it forces the front to work much better IMO.

Thing going through my head, is do we need extended bump stops for the rear, and will this help ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Superflex sway bars

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    Ive only got a 2 inch lift (3 inch shocks) and having same issue, ive snapped links, one standard sway bar in half, and just last weekend did same as you ......

"ripped the mounting hoop from sway bar to diff. Snapped the bolt and bent the hoop"

And yes have also done same as you ..... "I have tried adjusting the sway bar so the arm is level"

I also want sway bars fitted for road use, and i thought about disconnects for the rear, but i honestly think the patrol suspension works better off road with the rear sway bar connected, it forces the front to work much better IMO.

Thing going through my head, is do we need extended bump stops for the rear, and will this help ?
    Fwiw. I have extended front and rear bump stops. The tojo ones....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disregarding contact with other components (for now)

The nissan sway bars are poxy little things. The have a limited range of movement. I think it is about 25* each side of horizontal ( I can't remember where I found those figures, or if they're correct)
    We all know that the nissan swaybar will reduce some travel, even in stock form. Think about the amount of force it endures at the extremities of its workable limit, after we add more lift, more travel, heavier springs, more sprung weight from accessories, more unsprung weight from bigger tyres for example and still ask that pissy little swaybar to control all that?

Long story short, you are basically asking too much of it. At the end of the day, it is just a spring
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

mudski (14th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried looking at what Superior Engineering have to offer? I know sfa, until I go through the experience my self.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmm, dunno, just had a look on the superior web site, and not really sure if any of the stuff is the answer, as im not after more flex, and at $600 im not buying it to find out.

Not sure what flex my troll has if i pick up the front with a "fork lift", but the pic they show advertising the $600 front sway bar on a GU, has little to no flex from the front end ???

Im happy with my flex , but the rear is always maxing out and rubbing all the paint off the inner wheel arches anyway, this is why i think bump stops may be the answer, as may just stop the rear flex from stressing the sway bar that extra inch that becomes the last straw ?

As i said , ive only broken each single component of the rear sway bar once , a different component breaks each time, so perhaps im just weeding out worn items, but it does seem slightly obvious the rear set up is not 100% happy
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all,

Yeh I'm not overly keen on spending a packet on the superior stuff. I had extended my rear bump stops by 25mm but I might have to go more, how much have you guys extend them.

I understand that there is extreme pressure on the sway bars, I kept the sway bars off my 4.5 petrol I had so they are a little bigger. has anyone seen or know were to look for documentation on how to adjust or set the sway bars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast