Thread: replacing important hoses

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face replacing important hoses

Hi Guys, was told by nissan service that i need to replace the hoses on the intercooler and turbo as they r leaking oil (2005 TD3.0 motor), does any one have a list of the hoses that i need all up to do this job myself,
    also what is the best replacement, silicone or original material?, will i need to replace the clamps also? thanks so much

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Harry,
    Sorry to say, I'm not going to be very helpful but anyway,,,not much response to date, so here goes.
    Generally speaking, Nissan service will give you a long list of needed repairs which together with parts and time may, just may, cost a bit. Even a fair bit. Even quite a large fair bit.
    Is the hose, at any point leaking?
    Can you tighten the clip/ring/whatever up a bit more? My 08 model shows no leaks at all.
    The clamps should not be 'worn out' really, they generally last the life of the donk so if there is a leak, it's most likely to be the hose, not the clamp.
    My understanding is that silicone pipes/tubes/whatever will last either forever or at least much longer than the old fashioned rubber. BUT I must admit, I've not had this problem and therefore cannot give you a definitive answer.
    Get a bright torch and look for leaks, spend about a half a life time searching the web for your problem and suitable materials and hope that someone who has a clue gets an answer for you.
    Luck,
    C ol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.T View Post
    G'day Harry,
    Sorry to say, I'm not going to be very helpful but anyway,,,not much response to date, so here goes.
    Generally speaking, Nissan service will give you a long list of needed repairs which together with parts and time may, just may, cost a bit. Even a fair bit. Even quite a large fair bit.
    Is the hose, at any point leaking?
    Can you tighten the clip/ring/whatever up a bit more? My 08 model shows no leaks at all.
    The clamps should not be 'worn out' really, they generally last the life of the donk so if there is a leak, it's most likely to be the hose, not the clamp.
    My understanding is that silicone pipes/tubes/whatever will last either forever or at least much longer than the old fashioned rubber. BUT I must admit, I've not had this problem and therefore cannot give you a definitive answer.
    Get a bright torch and look for leaks, spend about a half a life time searching the web for your problem and suitable materials and hope that someone who has a clue gets an answer for you.
    Luck,
    C ol
    thanks Mate!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi harrynissan one of the first jobs I did on my GU was fit a Provent 200 catch can. I have used them before on my GQ 4.2 and Mitsi Triton, with great results. I have done 1100km since putting it on and have about 50ml of oil in the clear drain pipe that I use. Shows how much the engine breaths. Once you have a catch can, obviously there is less oil in the intercooler and pipes. Once the catch can is fitted, clean out the hoses you have, flush the intercooler and just put them back on, I doubt you will have anymore issues. Oil will seep out from anywhere if given a chance, and anyone who has had intercoolers will tell you, a catch can is a pretty good addition. cheers Lana
    GU8 2012 Simpson anniversary model, 3" redback exhaust, 2nd primary filter (original secondary), provent 200, Scangauge, engine watchdog, remote uhf dash plug, DRL's, pillarpod with pyro and boost, Titan drawer system, tail light upgrade, more to come

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day all. I agree its better not to have oil in the intercooler, then you don't have to worry about it leaking out. If oil can get out of the hose or joins, then air can get in or out as well and this will lower the efficiency of the intercooler/turbo anyway. So clean it, add a catch can and if hoses need replacing I have always found Enzed or Pirtek more helpful and less expensive than Mr Nissans boys. The only time I have ever had to replace turbo hoses was when I fitted a new intercooler and the hoses were brittle and cut from the clamps. Even then they weren't leaking oil, unlike the OEM intercooler which was. Get good clamps especially if you use silicon hose as it does get "slippery" and the clamps need to be tight. For what its worth my intercooler is fully welded from Brownes Radiators and the hoses and clamps all from Enzed.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,313 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pretty much whats already been said. If you go by Nissans advice you are not solving the issue. The OEM hoses are dear a fcuk, you can get aftermarket rubber hoses from Gates if you want to replace them. Quality rubber and a pooftheenth of the price of OEM.
    But you need to install a catch can as mentioned, or you oil issue will continue. Plus I am guessing the intercooler is factory. So this will be leaking no doubt. If you see oil deposits on the intercooler itself, particularly on the underside of it, its 100% leaking. If it were me and I was going to spend the coin on new OEM hoses I would do this first. And can be done by pretty much anyone.
    • Buy a Provent 200 Catch can and fit it.
    • Remove all OEM IC hoses and give them a good clean and inspect for damage.
    • New aftermarket intercooler and fit it. They can be had for around $350 and will work fine.
    • Reinstall old IC hoses if not damaged and make sure the clamps are in good condition and are tight.