OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Modification info for other newbies!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modification info for other newbies!

Hey guys, I just wanted to post some updates re the mods on my CRD in case there are other newbies like me that aren't sure what to do next.

It's seemed to me that boost fluctuation and high egt's were the biggest concerns after purchasing my 08' 3 litre, so most data is based on that!

Bear in mind this is just notes I took as I did the mods!

Here goes, (redarc boost/egt gauge and eds scan tool)

Unmodified - 14 psi max but all over the place, and very slow ramp rate. Very high egt's hitting around 550-600 on steady hills with no load!

Maf sensor clean - higher maf readings at idle and smoother running at low rpm, slightly lower egt's

Dawes/needle install - after tweaking boost about 18psi, and increased spool rate, much more power down low, better acceleration, egt's were around 350-400 on the flat at 80kms (daily work run) then played with the needle valve and got it to spoil faster, Egt maxed at 350, but was still around 550 towing on hot day. (Did hit limp mode at 18psi, so have dropped it to 16psi)

Egr block - maf readings at idle doubled, higher in general. Egt's went way down (not sure why??) sits around 250-300 at 80kmh now?

3" exhaust - higher maf readings again, significantly lower egt's (60-80km 200-250ish, not really sure as gauge doesn't go that low...) up a reasonably steep hill at 80kmh went as high as 350.

Next up, intercooler...

Hope this info is helpful to someone in the same position I was...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wilburnator For This Useful Post:

AB (8th July 2017), GQtdauto (8th July 2017), mudski (8th July 2017), New2town (10th July 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 6,444 Posts
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your on the ball with your mods bud.
    One thing to get and keep the EGTs a little lower was a better IC scoop. The Factory scoop aint worth a pinch of old cocky sh!t. When I had my 3ltr I bought an ARE Cooling scoop. Farking costly at $550 though. Now, lucky for you, theres a heap of alternatives around and much cheaper. You need something taller to catch the air. A bigger intercooler will obviously help too. I'm slightly skeptical on how much better the Cross Country or HPD scoops are over the cheaper alternatives for the 3Ltr motors.
    If your intercooler is leaking boost aswell, this will hamper performance and dramatically have a negative effect on EGTs.
    By the time you got hte exhaust on your EGTS are really good. Another worthy mod is to either do the volt mod trick on the maf so you can screw up the boost as high as you want without limp mode kicking in, or by the HPD maf housing, which in a nut shell allows the same as the volt mod, but at a much higher purchase price, but its easier to just fit the housing and your done. Getting rid of limp mode was by far one of the best things I did for the old 3Ltr I had. Mine ran happily on 25psi max after this and went really well...

Cheers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Wilburnator (8th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps Mudski for the additional info! I have looked at the larger scoops, and will probably do that around when I do the I/c change. I have really enjoyed doing everything one job at a time and seeing the change. So will prob do the I/c first and then the scoop to see what the effect is.
    I reckon at the moment my intercooler isn't leaking (or not much anyway...has only done 130kms) as there is no evidence of oil, and when I was setting the Dawes it his 26psi with no real hassle - but rest assured its next home is the scrap metal bin...

I'm quite surprised how good the 3 litre can go with some mods despite the negativity surrounding them. Having said that, it's a rocket compared to when I bought it!

Other than the HPD maf body, what is the simplest voltage mod that you recommend?

Regards, Russ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk