Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steep downhill control of an RB30 Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 7,007 Times in 3,401 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cant help too much muddy as i don't have an RB30 but my advice is to always take the chicken track if it's an option. I've done some gnarly tracks up and down but if presented with an option, generally take the chicken track (some exceptions when the blood's boiling). Never be pressured by the group (and good groups would never pressure you). Always better to enjoy the beer at the end of the day than to go all out to keep up with those who inevitably smash their rigs.

Then again you may be asking because you want to or have to and in that case I can't offer you any RB30 advice.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th July 2017), TPC (8th July 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, as you know I've got rb30 and steep downhills on 35's was white knuckle stuff. Still sucks on 33's.

Couple of things I learned - find a steep but grippy down hill, something safe, so you can get comfortable with the speed. Plenty a muddy downhill I've done where I've just let the car gain speed and focused on keeping her straight. Of course, not always an option if there's a sharp bend at the bottom, but sometimes it's handy knowing how to do.

Other times, I just make sure I start really slow, and just inch it down. I tend to work the brakes on and off, to try and keep the wheel spinning hoping to avoid a slide. If it's really gnarly, sometimes I'll have the car in reverse with clutch in, so if she does start to go and i can't stop her, I just drop the hammer until she stops (have it in first if you are backing down a steep incline).

Honestly, a lot of it's situational. First low is just too tall in these boxes, and the motors like to rev, so its not a favourable scenario for engine braking downhill.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    snip...

Other times, I just make sure I start really slow, and just inch it down. I tend to work the brakes on and off, to try and keep the wheel spinning hoping to avoid a slide.
    If you mean what I think then that technique is known as 'cadence braking', very common in colder climes where ice etc is an issue, Europe, Canada, US.
    Can be quite effective with experience but must admit I have never came close to mastering it
    I think it is still taught in the ADF but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    snip...

If it's really gnarly, sometimes I'll have the car in reverse with clutch in, so if she does start to go and i can't stop her, I just drop the hammer until she stops (have it in first if you are backing down a steep incline).
    Jeez dude... that is more than just a tad dangerous thing to be doing IMHO.
    An old school 4WD saying is "your right foot may get you there if your left foot doesn't kill you first" meaning you should NEVER be 'clutch in' on a steep ascent/descent

Why wouldn't you attempt the challenge in the correct gear and just turn the ignition off if the speed gets too high and then do a stall recovery technique?
    Even if you did it multiple times you would get to the bottom of the challenge without having ever lost control of the vehicle or shitting yourself.

In my Petrol 'Cruisers and MQ Patrol days thats what we would do and indeed is still a basic technique in both Diesel or Petrol vehicles on 4WD courses.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th July 2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As an experiment, I did shut the ignition off in my old Corolla a couple of times when doing some really steep descents, as it was Fuel injected. I found that the vaccuum created by the engine was sufficient to operate the brakes. The engine brake effect was great but the problem with doing this with the RB30 is that it will suck the carby dry and probably blow the exhaust system and air filter into space when the ignition is turned back on.
    Last edited by mudnut; 7th July 2017 at 06:26 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

An old school 4WD saying is "your right foot may get you there if your left foot doesn't kill you first" meaning you should NEVER be 'clutch in' on a steep ascent/descent

Why wouldn't you attempt the challenge in the correct gear and just turn the ignition off if the speed gets too high and then do a stall recovery technique?
    Even if you did it multiple times you would get to the bottom of the challenge without having ever lost control of the vehicle or shitting yourself.
    I do that too, but it doesn't suit every situation. I'd rather have power available, power steering and vacuum assisted braking - than no steering, no assisted brakes, and ability to power out/reverse, no choices basically.

"Why wouldn't you attempt the challenge in the correct gear and just turn the ignition off if the speed gets too high and then do a stall recovery technique?"

I've done both techniques plenty, they both have their place. My gearing is too long to have the clutch out and have it in gear (even low first) at really slow speeds down a hill. Once my tyres are clogged up, they aren't going to clear with the engine off slipping and sliding down a hill. Some steep slippery clay hills, i'll be picking up speed with all four wheels locked and engine off. I've tried it. No technique is a be all and end all.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    If you mean what I think then that technique is known as 'cadence braking', very common in colder climes where ice etc is an issue, Europe, Canada, US.
    Can be quite effective with experience but must admit I have never came close to mastering it
    I think it is still taught in the ADF but not sure.

In my Petrol 'Cruisers and MQ Patrol days thats what we would do and indeed is still a basic technique in both Diesel or Petrol vehicles on 4WD courses.
    Clutch should never be disengaged on descents, simply asking for trouble. Agee 100% with what ET says above. When I had my 2.8td engine, same problem as Muddy has, so I dropped in a set of marks 85% gears and fixed it, but this is not an option, so just feather the brakes and start slow.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a bit of an insight as to what might happen on a trip to the Otways, with the tyres I am running. I had these brand new BFG Rugged Terrains and after a light shower, they struggled a bit on a steep ascent.

I will definitely go for a chunkier tread next, even though I do 99.99% on road.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,197 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have to agree with ET and PeeBee, would never have the clutch disengaged on steep descents and 4wd training I have had has taught the same. Any engine braking is going to assist and occasional light application of brake to keep the speed down or as others have said, fix your handbrake and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I had a bit of an insight as to what might happen on a trip to the Otways, with the tyres I am running. I had these brand new BFG Rugged Terrains and after a light shower, they struggled a bit on a steep ascent.

I will definitely go for a chunkier tread next, even though I do 99.99% on road.
    Your trip to the Otways, was that the day trip in 2014? It get bloody slippery when it rained but I felt ok with my BFG AT's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

mudnut (8th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup. My Q's bum was all over the shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mudnut. Did GQ wirh RB30s have a different gearbox ratio???
    I used to owne a GQ with a RB30 and up the high country decending in 1st LOW i had to tap the accelerator a lot and not the brake. I'm wondering was this due to different gearing in GU's that youre experiencing. Ironically it was the gearbox letting go on me in toolangi that ended the GQ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast