Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips on auto down hill and mud 4x4

Hi all got a few questions...
    I've got a 2007 patrol Auto be off roading many times on sand / beach all good. But going this Sunday to the forest and we have had lots of rain so will be muddy and slippery hills, so my question is what would be the best way to tackle the mud and hills in an Auto as its my first Auto.
    I got Auto lockers. Auto transmission mode switch. Over drive , 1 and 2 gears so one. Prob get away with 4 h most the way but hills going down ? Not to good in an Auto ? Do I go 4 L. And in 1 st gear with mode switch on power ?? For engine breaking down hill ?? Any recommendations from the guys who do this lots.
    Sounds like I've never been off roading before lol, just never been on the mud..

Thanks
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torque lock is the best way to go but doubt you'll get one fitted in time , downhill especially steep down hill drives are a problem .
    Shorter tracks you can gently push on the brakes while using a smidgen of the accelerator, there is a thread here somewhere about using this technique.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

madchef (11th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low 1 pick a line and trust it....don't brake

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mention "Auto Lockers"... do you mean Auto Hubs or an Auto Locker in the front?

If you have to 'manually' brake ah la engine braking in a manual tranny... gently use the hand brake not the foot brake.
    The hand brake is a transmission brake so the braking 'effort' is exactly the same as if it was engine braking.

Using the foot brake going downhill is even more dangerous in an auto as it is in a manual in that it will not provide equal braking effort to all wheels as it introduces the load proportioning valve and other factors into the equation.
    In the manual at least you can stall out and recover if you brake and balls it up
    Last edited by the evil twin; 6th July 2017 at 11:10 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

madchef (11th July 2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would use 4 low first gear with the mode switch in hold.

Lock your auto hubs in manually. If practical stick to the ruts when going down hill. These will help steer in the correct direction and also offer resistance on the side walls of the tyres helping slow you down.

As above use your handbrake instead of your footbrake. I normally start at two clicks with the handbrake on then adjust it from there as I’m going down the hill. If the ground is firm in places use your footbrake to help slow momentum just be ready to release the footbrake if the wheels lockup.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

madchef (11th July 2017), the evil twin (6th July 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry not Lockers! Auto hubs just been thinking about putting Lockers on lol, Thanks all will see what happens sunday we have had lots of rain so will be interesting day, just don't want to slide over the edge hah wife would kill me if that don't... and thanks for the information on hand brake forgot its not on the back but under the car. will use this if needed. Thanks

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, I pissed it all lol, It was wet but not to bad it was a good day, But I do need a lift kit fitted as them ruts got big lol, some big hills there and gravel so some sliding going on .
    Thanks

Dave

12. The Following User Says Thank You to madchef For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (11th July 2017)