User Tag List

Thread: suspension sagging on one corner only

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

suspension sagging on one corner only

Hi blokes, My MQ patrol has quite a sag in the suspension only on the front right hand corner. it has dropped by about 75mm. I have had a quick look under the rig and the springs are not broken and it does not look like any thing is stopping the suspension travel. there are no noises coming from the suspension. I did note that the front right tyre is also on a lean inward. Has anyone come across this before. cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,492 Times in 6,597 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's pretty common from the Driver sitting in the car. How old are the springs? If they are new they might be in the wrong way. On cool spring cars the drivers spring is longer to allow for the constant weight on that side. You could swap them side to side and it would be better or buy a spring
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (4th July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few possibilities .....

Make sure that your truck is parked on a flat level surface to check spring heights, as just having the back wheel in a hole or hump will affect the front height on the opposite corner.

Cheapest Option..... if everything seems ok, and there are no problems driving around just leave it as is.

Next Cheapest Option .... If you can get a similar one from a wreckers, you could replace it with a second hand unit, but you need to know if it is standard or lifted.

Next Cheapest Option .... You can get your spring reset, and that would involve taking the spring out for reshaping

Then lastly, you would install a brand new spring, although I would probably never do just one so that adds to the cost.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (4th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    It's pretty common from the Driver sitting in the car. How old are the springs? If they are new they might be in the wrong way. On cool spring cars the drivers spring is longer to allow for the constant weight on that side. You could swap them side to side and it would be better or buy a spring
    Hi Mudrunner, The springs are the original equipment and was sitting level the last time I drive it. (not my every day car) now it is 75mm lower just on drivers side. I don't remember hitting anything lately.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    There are a few possibilities .....

Make sure that your truck is parked on a flat level surface to check spring heights, as just having the back wheel in a hole or hump will affect the front height on the opposite corner.

Cheapest Option..... if everything seems ok, and there are no problems driving around just leave it as is.

Next Cheapest Option .... If you can get a similar one from a wreckers, you could replace it with a second hand unit, but you need to know if it is standard or lifted.

Next Cheapest Option .... You can get your spring reset, and that would involve taking the spring out for reshaping

Then lastly, you would install a brand new spring, although I would probably never do just one so that adds to the cost.
    Hi happygu, The car is sitting on concrete driveway and the sag only happened the last time I drove it. looks ok underneath from what I can tell. I might have to take it to a suspension place here in Hobart. cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blocko05 View Post
    Hi happygu, The car is sitting on concrete driveway and the sag only happened the last time I drove it. looks ok underneath from what I can tell. I might have to take it to a suspension place here in Hobart. cheers
    Springs don't usually sag 75mm just from one trip .... that would be a hell of a trip .... there must be something else at play
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check for a bent spring hanger or an inverted shackle or something. its almost the only thing that could cause that that quickly.

Its probably due some new springs
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (6th July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. Checked the old girl out in the shed last night and found a damaged shackle. will replace it next pay. thanks for the reply's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blocko05 View Post
    thanks for the replies. Checked the old girl out in the shed last night and found a damaged shackle. will replace it next pay. thanks for the reply's.
    Excellent. Is it something you came take off and hit with a hammer? It's only a shackle? Got a pic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

blocko05 (11th July 2017)