Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adelaide to Karijini Nat Park

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adelaide to Karijini Nat Park

Hi all. Karijini Nat park looks to be a beautiful spot and have been thinking of going for a few years now. This is something that I would like to have a crack at in the next year or so. It's a long long way and was hopeful that anyone out there may have some tips, suggestions, advice, stories, places of interest on the way , warnings any input what so ever. It would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers all.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,985 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not been to that area myself but it looks good.
    Avo is not far from there visiting family, he may have some advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - While driving in the Park make sure you let your tyres down from highway pressures, the roads in the Park are made up of very sharp rocks that like to puncture tyres.
    - Allow at least a week in the Park, more if you have time.
    - There are 2 camp grounds in the park one is DPAW (Dept of Parks and Wildlife, State Govt Run) and the other is a private facility both by gorges at opposite ends of the Park.
    - Wittenoom is worth a visit but be wary of the remaining locals that live there.
    - Get good hiking shoes as the gorges can be a decent walk from the car parks and to get to the best spots you have to hike a fair way.
    - Watch out for the Spinnifex
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

Chubba (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the info biggish. What about the trip up there? What would be the best way up to the park? Anything to look out for on the way up? Best places to stop or avoid.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bloody long way no crispy creams on the way there only bolivar
    hay new servo going in a cavan behind the steak house at the pub its a caltex
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends upon how long you have for trip. WA is a huge state with so much to see. If you tell us how long you are thinking of going for it would make coming up with suggestions easier. There are some fantastic coastal areas eg. Kalbarri, Shark Bay, Ningaloo. IMO the best of the west coast starts at Shark Bay & just keeps getting better as you go further north, but if Karijini is your northernmost destination you'd turn inland just after Ningaloo. The coastal road is mostly a long way from the coast.
    My preference from Adelaide would probably be the inland route, Uluru to Laverton via the Great Central Rd, (turn off at the Olgas - doing so allows you to go to Uluru without having to pay for a pass & there are some free camp spots not too far past the Olgas) allowing for some exploration time around the WA Goldfields (Gwalia & Lake Ballard would be at the top of my must sees in the Goldfields). The dirt road from Laverton to Leonora is more interesting than the bitumen, with plenty of opportunity for free camping. From Leonora head north via Wiluna & Meekathara all the way up to Karijini. Or you could go west to the coast from Leinster, via Sandstone & Mt Magnet.

It wouldn't be hard to spend a year or three just swanning around WA & still not see all it has to offer! There are other more adventurous routes across the western deserts. Just depends upon what you want.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 2nd July 2017 at 08:21 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cuppa. Yeah mate. Time is a factor. I wouldn't have anymore than say a month. I was thinking a week maybe at Karijini leaving three weeks travel to and from. Hadn't thought of the Uluru option(interesting). I don't think we have enough time for the cost rd
    Was thinking Nullarbor then north at Norseman. But at this stage all option still on the table.
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the Uluru route would be far more interesting than the Nullarbor & distance is significantly less distance as these google maps show, but I wouldn't rely on google's estimated travel times (they are not very accurate for dirt roads). I'd reckon that the travel time between the two routes would be much the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cuppa; 2nd July 2017 at 11:20 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Chubba (2nd July 2017), PeeBee (2nd July 2017), Woof (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at my Hema Explorer you could go north from Norseman to Wiluna on the Goldfields Hwy and then west towards Meekathara from Wiluna or Divert to Mt Magnet from Leinster. Both Mt Magnet and Meekathara are on the Gt Northern Hwy which will take you to Newman and Karijini.

For a real adventure you could take the Menzies Sandstone Road which takes you past Lake Ballard and some art sculptures that have been installed there, this road goes all the way to Meekathara and would be interesting I've just never travelled it before.

Stop in at Kalgoorlie and check out the Super pit and some of the pubs there. Maybe on your way back stop in at Esperance and check out some of the beaches etc down there.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

Chubba (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you/will you be towing anything?

If it is likely to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip to that region then I strongly suggest you include Mt Augustus, Millstream NP and Karajini NP.
    Awesome region albeit Karajini is not in my top 5 places in Aus it is def a must see as are the other two.
    You can do a loop to include all of them (a single night at Mt Augustus is enough if time is an issue).

You may find your dual fueler a bit of PIA in that LPG availability is limited and when available is bloody expensive.
    Petrol won't be an issue as fuel stops are close enough together to be realistic but, again, expensive

When up there and getting around also make sure you jump online before you go or go to the Visitor Centre at Karratha or Tom Price and get a Rail Access Road Permit.
    This lets you use some of the Iron Ore Rail Service Roads which are in phenomal condition compared to the shire roads and easily allow a day visit to Karratha etc for sightseeing or restocking gear
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd July 2017 at 12:13 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Chubba (2nd July 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast