Thread: Help buying a Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Yes. ZD30 it is. Run the other way when come across a one.
    Just turned up 234,000k in mine with no problems. That includes long fast touring runs in 30 deg plus temps, stop start in City, towing a camp trailer and off road fun days in mud, sand and rocks with 4x4 club. Just sayin.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

dom14 (3rd July 2017), Woof (3rd July 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Yes. ZD30 it is. Run the other way when come across a one.
    Here is my take ... I have previously owned a 4.2 Diesel with aftermarket turbo for over 12 years, and except for the slight temperature rise when pushed hard and associated panic that went along with it, it never had any money spent on it other than an injector rebuild/reset and dyno as a precaution and it never let us down.

I have had 4 x GU 3 Litre Di's now .... and never had any trouble with any of them and I definitely get out there and use mine for what it is intended for, and they have also never had any money spent on them at all, except for regular servicing.

My advice would be to try and get a CRD in the 3 Litre Di's, as they have most of the issues sorted and have no more troubles than any other brand, if you are using it for a family bus as well as 4wheeling.

If it is just a bush truck, then grab a 4.2 if you can, as they are unstoppable.

There are numerous stories of the early 3 litre Di's failing regularly - even up to 2005, albeit much less regularly with the later models, so there are some that are gun shy when it comes to these motors.

This makes it a tough decision, as there are numerous naysayers out there.

On the flip side, I personally know of a 2000 Model - untouched with over 400,000 klms, and my old 2003 model was up to 270,000 klms when I last asked about it a year ago, and I know of others that were told their motors were cactus and needed to be replaced, to pull them down after they had replaced them to find out it was only a minor problem originally, but due to the sheer numbers of the early failures, the instant diagnosis was "it must be terminal"

I am not planning on getting rid of mine anytime soon - it is paid for, and I know I can pick up another CRD motor if i ever need one for less than 4K, as they just don't move that fast
    Last edited by happygu; 4th July 2017 at 08:37 AM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (4th July 2017), dom14 (5th July 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone so far for your comments. It is really hard to find a TD42 under 300k km and I am worried about that.

From what I have read here 2005 and onwards are ok for a td30 which are much easier to come by. The wagon will be setup as my touring vehicle for weekend trips up here in the north.

I am happy to buy something with 200k km on it...however would like to know if there is anything in the engine that shows signs it's close to being done. I mean surely a looked after td30 can easily run for over 300k km.

Thanks so far guys...massive help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12