Thread: How to get intake temps below 20 degrees

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    This is bugging me! I am seriously considering it for my barge. What I don't understand is the function of the w2a radiator? Is this simply a reservoir? Reason being if the w2a water temp is 10 deg, why would you put it back thru the w2a radiator if the ambient is 49degC, then re-chill it with the a.c gas? I am assuming the coolant temps above are the engine radiator temps also? Who out there can clear this up? I have PM'd Johno90 but he isn't a regular visitor it seems.
    This page should help
    https://fiinterchillers.com/products/
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bene, this is the system I am looking at. Only thing is the results seem very short lived if you read the reviews - keen to understand if the same results will be sustainable over a longer period, say 8hrs of driving? The recovery references are all related to drag race events. Plus still at a loss regards the function of the hot w2a radiator in the loop - must be missing something.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so made contact with FIinterchillers and yes, they delete the front mount radiator as it simply heats the water up, so my thinking was correct. Anyway, finally got the size of the interchiller unit from them, and will see if it will fit or need a custom unit. They have a fair bit of info on the website about their design without giving too much away, which is fair enough. Now on the hunt for either a PWR or a Plazaman w2a unit and pump. Seems a high flowrate pump is best, waiting to find out if the water loop needs a reservoir of any sort to increase the volume or not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure who did it but someone shot the intercooler with a c02 to cool it off real cold to see the gains and they actually lost power on dyno the theory was the charge was to cold cause the diesel not to ignite properly..just a thought

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think I would place much credence in this. These diesel will run quite happily in minus 20 deg C as long as the fuel does not gel in the lines. Cold air and even colder is the win. maybe they pointed the co2 at their own head to see if the dyno numbers were going to be better, but they felt worse afterwards?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Don't think I would place much credence in this. These diesel will run quite happily in minus 20 deg C as long as the fuel does not gel in the lines. Cold air and even colder is the win. maybe they pointed the co2 at their own head to see if the dyno numbers were going to be better, but they felt worse afterwards?
    Don’t know how plusable it is tho...but I dought either way the op will ever get this cold anyways....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NAcM8yRbCrA

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, well, no details, so dismissed already. I have no doubt the effect for me will be decreased EGT's which is what I am after, There is documented evidence that power gains are certainly achieved. Have a look at FI Interchillers to see how they work. I have ordered mine already.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123