Thread: How to get intake temps below 20 degrees

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face How to get intake temps below 20 degrees

Sooo long story short I went and through another few grand at the patrol in the last month and have walked away quite happy and surprised.

Part of me little shopping spree was an intercooler that would work with no vehicle movement ( sounds crazy aye)
    Anyway being a mech/ auto lecy & refrig trades I decided to have a good old play around.
    I ordered a frozen boost intercooler kit (600hp) with type 10 cooler, mainly cause it fits well
    Also dont want to hear flames about using frozen boost kit some fail some dont haha I know this but ive always had good experience with them.
    Fit up the intercooler kit as per normal, all good. but then i decided to go and grab a brazed plate cooler ( http://westank.com/wp-content/upload...c-672x1332.jpg ) if your not sure what one is. Made up some a/c hoses and tigged up some 3 way joiners, and run a/c gas through one side of the cooler and then the water going to the intercooler through the other. After experimenting with different tx valves and superheat settings came across one that works out of the box

So how does it go:
    Intercooler temp at idle- 1 degrees
    Air temp at idle - 4 degrees
    Intercooler temp at end of full power run - 18 degrees
    Average max air temp over 4 power runs - 17.6 degrees
    Before cooler max air temp on power run- 103 degrees

After a good hammering on the highway and jump out of the car the intake manifold metal temp is 21.4 degrees

And for the sake of info- Max boost was 33Psi and max egt was 550 measured BEFORE turbo
    Highway cruise boost 8psi and egt 275 measured before turbo

Running anti freeze in the system is a must as temps drop below 0 when left idling and cruising

Total cost to setup
    $790 for intercooler kit
    $800 for cooling setup

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (16th December 2017), MudRunnerTD (26th June 2017), mudski (26th June 2017)