Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get intake temps below 20 degrees

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face How to get intake temps below 20 degrees

Sooo long story short I went and through another few grand at the patrol in the last month and have walked away quite happy and surprised.

Part of me little shopping spree was an intercooler that would work with no vehicle movement ( sounds crazy aye)
    Anyway being a mech/ auto lecy & refrig trades I decided to have a good old play around.
    I ordered a frozen boost intercooler kit (600hp) with type 10 cooler, mainly cause it fits well
    Also dont want to hear flames about using frozen boost kit some fail some dont haha I know this but ive always had good experience with them.
    Fit up the intercooler kit as per normal, all good. but then i decided to go and grab a brazed plate cooler ( http://westank.com/wp-content/upload...c-672x1332.jpg ) if your not sure what one is. Made up some a/c hoses and tigged up some 3 way joiners, and run a/c gas through one side of the cooler and then the water going to the intercooler through the other. After experimenting with different tx valves and superheat settings came across one that works out of the box

So how does it go:
    Intercooler temp at idle- 1 degrees
    Air temp at idle - 4 degrees
    Intercooler temp at end of full power run - 18 degrees
    Average max air temp over 4 power runs - 17.6 degrees
    Before cooler max air temp on power run- 103 degrees

After a good hammering on the highway and jump out of the car the intake manifold metal temp is 21.4 degrees

And for the sake of info- Max boost was 33Psi and max egt was 550 measured BEFORE turbo
    Highway cruise boost 8psi and egt 275 measured before turbo

Running anti freeze in the system is a must as temps drop below 0 when left idling and cruising

Total cost to setup
    $790 for intercooler kit
    $800 for cooling setup

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (16th December 2017), MudRunnerTD (26th June 2017), mudski (26th June 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johno90 View Post
    Sooo long story short I went and through another few grand at the patrol in the last month and have walked away quite happy and surprised.

Part of me little shopping spree was an intercooler that would work with no vehicle movement ( sounds crazy aye)
    Anyway being a mech/ auto lecy & refrig trades I decided to have a good old play around.
    I ordered a frozen boost intercooler kit (600hp) with type 10 cooler, mainly cause it fits well
    Also dont want to hear flames about using frozen boost kit some fail some dont haha I know this but ive always had good experience with them.
    Fit up the intercooler kit as per normal, all good. but then i decided to go and grab a brazed plate cooler ( http://westank.com/wp-content/upload...c-672x1332.jpg ) if your not sure what one is. Made up some a/c hoses and tigged up some 3 way joiners, and run a/c gas through one side of the cooler and then the water going to the intercooler through the other. After experimenting with different tx valves and superheat settings came across one that works out of the box

So how does it go:
    Intercooler temp at idle- 1 degrees
    Air temp at idle - 4 degrees
    Intercooler temp at end of full power run - 18 degrees
    Average max air temp over 4 power runs - 17.6 degrees
    Before cooler max air temp on power run- 103 degrees

After a good hammering on the highway and jump out of the car the intake manifold metal temp is 21.4 degrees

And for the sake of info- Max boost was 33Psi and max egt was 550 measured BEFORE turbo
    Highway cruise boost 8psi and egt 275 measured before turbo

Running anti freeze in the system is a must as temps drop below 0 when left idling and cruising

Total cost to setup
    $790 for intercooler kit
    $800 for cooling setup
    4 degrees at idle, what do you do about the condensate in the inlet?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing as it doesn't occur, it condensates on the hotter side being outside the intake manifold, same as you dont get condensation on the inside of an evaporator - only the outside hence the drain tube for the evap box

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you lean on it a bit more with fuelling? You are well within pre turbo limits for egt.

Also what about sustained loads? Do you have any testing to do say towing 2t to so how the system copes with sustained heat loads. 4 power runs is hardly sustained loading.

Your turbo is suprisingly low outlet temps which is good. What turbo are you using?

Your results are good and have me intrigued.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent outcome. I have often wondered how I could utilise the cooling capacity of the AC system for the intercooler, but never made the leap regards the second heat exchanger. My thoughts were along the lines of a second coil in the path of the hot air, but again, never got any further. Good to see these results. What ambient temps were you running in?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee Second coil in front would work but no where near as efficient and very cumbersome. Ambient temps were 32 degrees

@nissannewby - Would love to put more fuel in but need to wait for the new pump, current one runs out at 260hp.
    I have sat in 5th gear full noise up the local range up here and experienced same results egt just crept to about 570. Which is will give me plenty of headroom with the new pump My camper is currently in brissy so when I grab it next I can do some full load runs.
    Ive actually tested 2 turbos with this setup - the new style ufi 18g with a billet wheel and a kingu 18g 8cm with billet wheel and 9 blade exhaust wheel, Surprisingly the kingu makes boost a good 400 rpm sooner and holds great, lower egt and cooler outlet temps. So its stayed bolted on for now haha, if it goes bang then the ufi is there as backup. the ufi outlet temps in same conditions was 160 degrees and egt was up on average 50-60 degrees everywhere.

In saying this I have obviously got all the rest of the supporting mods needed to run this, not just the cooler alone. Intake, exhaust etc etc

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th June 2017), PeeBee (26th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add tho is there is a couple of ways to set this up - I have mine running constant which is not really needed, you could run a temp switch to turn on the compressor when the system is needed so you dont suffer loss through the compressor. But that also is nil point if you have you cabin a/c on, The system also doesn't effect the performance of the cabin a/c at all.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a great idea any chance of a few pictures . I want to build an out front intercooler . having one on top of a hot engine is well cheap and crappy . I have a core and have started on the headers for the cooler . it looks like I will have a custom grill to get it all in there ! still I like your idea think its a smart solution

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill grab some piccies when i come off shift, (thursday) The actual cooler I still have sitting ontop of the engine, very short path from turbo to manifold. and then an additional radiator in front of the condenser, then the plate heat exchanger Ive managed to tuck behind the LH headlight and airbox.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th June 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff. Reminds me of my younger days running my computer's CPU at -30c and overclocking this shite out of it. Then spend countless hours at night running bench tests.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast