Thread: Throttle controler - Review

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throttle controler - Review

As mentioned in an earlier post, I recently fitted an IDrive throttle controller module in my 2014 Y61. Wasn't convinced either way if it was a good thing or a "Brock Polarizer", but as it had a 30 day money back if not happy with it, and some good reviews on YTube, I thought is was worth a try.

The IDrive throttler controller for a 2007-on Patrol and is designed for either auto or manuals. RRP is $299 although I got it for $275

Anyway ........... over the weekend I gave it a go and this is what I found.

It has a number of settings - Off / Auto / Performance / Economy.

The Auto is as suggested, automatic and will adjust it's self dependent on throttle pedal speed/pressure.
    The Performance setting has 9 levels of adjustment sensitivity.
    The Economy is supposedly a fuel saving setting and much less responsive.

My first experience was while driving to my son's place at Wilton NSW via secondary multiple speed roads, both winding & straight at times. I chose to try only the Auto & Economy modes on this section.
    In Auto mode I found that there was no longer a slow or flat spot when taking off from stationary or at slow speeds. Power came on immediately and without any hesitation and was very brisk to accelerate. I found that it took some time to get used to the need for less pedal movement to accelerate. Once you mastered this, it became a better vehicle to drive. You can drive it like an old lady and everything happens slowly, or you can put your foot down with brisk acceleration to 5k revs real quickly.

In Economy mode I found it less responsive and very "doughy", and maybe OK for rough off-road driving. ( yet to try )

My next experience was while driving home via the freeway. I started off in the highest setting in Performance mode, level 9. That was an experience! Way too aggressive. Perhaps OK in a V8 or a sports car, but not an under-powered 3lt diesel. Short shifting at 4-5k revs to top gear in an auto is a bit too exciting for me, and not too good for that motor I would think. I stopped and changed it to mid-setting, level 4. I found this was a comfortable setting with fast kick-down response acceleration, great for overtaking. I think it would be a good setting if towing. Ran out of time and road for any further testing.

My opinion .....

Yes, I think it does what it's advertised to do.
    I think it's something that works well on-road and possibly only the Economy mode off-road, or switched off. It would be too sensitive in any other setting off-road.
    On-road is were it excels. It does make my 3lt Patrol a much better vehicle to drive. Brisker acceleration and no slow or flat spots makes it worth while for me. I think the Auto setting is perfect for local driving and various speed secondary roads.
    Yes, I will be keeping it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 26th June 2017 at 09:46 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (4th July 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was skeptical too and just like you decided to give it a go with 30 day money back guarantee. Missus wasn't too happy I spent $275 on a new mod, but I told her to settle down and give the car a spin. When she drove it, she's like WOW! So mod justified I leave mine on Auto, it's perfect.

A mate said it guzzles more fuel, but I haven't noticed any difference on mine no matter how hard or soft I drive it..
    2012 CRD 30TD Auto Wagon, 15L/100km | 2" KYB Lift | 3" Exhaust | ECU Remap | HPD boost control | Provent Catch Can | EGR Block | Bullet Snorkel | Dual Battery | Redarc SBI12 | Projecta batt Monitor | Auto Headlights | iDrive Throttle Control | NU3001 7" Android Stereo | Sound Deadening| Reverse Camera | Dashcam | Amp, 12" Sub | 300W Inverter | USB Chargers | Barn Door Gas Strut | Awning | Mods list shrinking