Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel consumption of the td45

Hi all,
    I'm seeking advice on my 4.5l Patrol, we have just returned from a 5 week cape York trip and I was getting 100ks to 30 litres towing a boat, before I put the exhaust system on I was getting around 22 litres per 100ks but it was gutless, now it has power but it's absolutely ridiculously thirsty, I was told it the exhaust should help fuel economy. Is there something I can do it check ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TB45 gets 15l/100km on the highway in perfect conditions, 18-19l/100km around town and this seems around normal for a manual. Autos seem to get 2-3l/100km worse in all conditions.

If you are looking to improve fuel economy the best bet is to do the usual service items - air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, check the timing, adjust the valve clearances, check the thermostat, check to make sure the cat converter isn't blocked.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah okay thanks mate, yours gets a lot better fuel economy then mine, it had a full service and timing done before we want traveling, and got a custom exhaust system made for it, not to sure what else I can do.
    Mind you it's bullet proof had no issues doing cape York and the old telly track

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The strong point of the TB45E is its reliability when maintained correctly.
    I ran mine for 8 years and regularly got 20ish in fuel consumption but it never bothered me because it cost nothing otherwise. Look at the overall cost of the vehicle while you own it, not just the fuel.

I changed my engine for diesel because I plan to pull a caravan around the country and the petrol bill would have been horrendous with the 4.5 and I now have more power as well.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    The strong point of the TB45E is its reliability when maintained correctly.
    I ran mine for 8 years and regularly got 20ish in fuel consumption but it never bothered me because it cost nothing otherwise. Look at the overall cost of the vehicle while you own it, not just the fuel.

I changed my engine for diesel because I plan to pull a caravan around the country and the petrol bill would have been horrendous with the 4.5 and I now have more power as well.
    I should've bought a diesel years ago. Just couldn't justify the price tag of TD42s. RD28 didn't make much sense to me as it is not likely to produce a great deal of extra power or reliability, comparing to RB30 or TB42.

What about TB45E on LPG? Isn't it good enough to travel around the country, power wise? Access to LPG in the bush is obviously an issue, of course.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach