Thread: In cab brake controller .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All

It's done and I now have pics, the controller mount sits out of sight behind the flap when the controller is in its pouch not in use and slips neatly into the bracket when required.

There was a fair bit of trial and error getting holes in the right spot but fortunately it's all out of sight. First the radio and center air con vent unit was removed, I cut a couple of slots in the top of the panel for the small bracket mount and then a larger one at the back for the wiring.

With that done I turned to the wiring and decided to take power directly from the battery via a 25amp circuit breaker and then went looking for someway to get through the firewall, I found a rubber grommet in a metal bracket just above the accelerator pedal that I used to feed wiring through, I couldn't find any 6mm blue cable so I've used black that I've run along the chassis and put some blue heat shrink at the plug end to hopefully avoid confusion at a later date. I was hoping the factory might have allowed for electric brakes in the wiring loom but the only thing I found was a short 4mm cable at the tow bar going to the plug but it's under size so will be removed.

It took a bit of mucking around refitting the air con panel to create enough space for the wiring to slide in and out a bit when fitting the controller but it fits.

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by TT Aero; 8th August 2017 at 07:42 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the tekonsha p3 in my discovery and it was fantastic. Installed one in a mates triton and he loves it. Easy to use., but I opted for the Redarc TowPro Elite in the Patrol because Its Aussie made and was interested to see how much difference there is between them. Stillin the process of installation but will find out very soon.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So install time for the p3 and I would like to pick your brains. The blue wire which carries the current from the controller to the brakes what size did you use , I'm thinking 6mm because I have 4mt roughly on the ute too 8pin flat and 5mts from flat to brakes so will cover a van car trailer etc. that will allow 4amps per brake x 4 brakes is 16amps plus cover the distance from source to application . Any one agree or disagree on my logic because I'm on my L plates with this wiring gig .ha ha
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi dads tractor and All

I couldn't find reference to a brake controller fitted where I have so there was a fair bit of trial and error and I took my time over a couple of days but if I were to do it again I'd have it done in three to four hours.

6mm is the recommended wire size so that's what I used but I couldn't find it in blue so will put some blue heat shrink at the plug end, interestingly the stock wiring loom has a blue wire at the trailer plug that I'm guessing is for electric brakes but it's only 4mm so I'll be upgrading that to 6mm.

I have a lot of install pics that I will post when I find a free hosting site but before then if you want them pm me your email addy and I'll send them to you.

Cheers
    John

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TT Aero For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (5th August 2017)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tt pm'd you
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pm replied

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TT Aero For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (6th August 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All

Pics are now up at the top of this page.

Cheers
    John

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys
    I work at a place that fits these brake controllers .
    In relation to wire size from the controller to the trailer plug ,we use 4mm wire as it is the same size as the wires
    coming out of the unit ,and it is more than enough .
    Just thought I would clear that up for you

Craig

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123