Thread: GQ dash cluster dicky

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ dash cluster dicky

Wasn't too sure where to put this but recently my speedo needle jumped to 180 and since then has been doing as it pleases sometimes with a Big Bang of the dash it comes good temporarily, having all my demerits and doing a lot of long country drives it has been shitting me as don't want a fine, now my temp gauge has decided to do the same and only works with a bang of the dash. I want to fix the current cluster as I'm proud of the 620 thousand ks it's done, just wondering if someone fixes them or it's a problem I could tackle myself or I need a whole new cluster (which no doubt would have much lower kilometres) and if so how hard is it to change the dash etc? Thanks heaps guys (cars a 92 GQ ute td42)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can just swap the speedo section i've done it on mine as i could only get a petrol cluster
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going by past similar threads on this. A common fault is the soldering connections on the back of the cluster crack and then you get intermittent connections. You will need to remove the entire cluster and get out a magnifying glass and go over the connections I reckon.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

dom14 (14th October 2016), mudnut (13th October 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20161207_164629.jpg 20161207_133219.jpg adding to this i ripped the cluster out yesterday contact cleaned all connections, which all looked pretty good anyhow and made no difference. Wierd i will accelerate and speedo will read backwards to about 120 then decellerate and it drops back to where it is and temp guage is just stuck under the c where it is when car's off. Time for a new cluster i think as all i can get is internals are screwed? Rev gguage battery oil pressure fuel and odo all work sweet, kinda sucks as i like the fact its done so many ks and runs so good now will have to chuck a much lower k dash in

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mark89 For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (14th March 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was a bloke doing a reco / changover for GQ dash clusters I haven't checked to see if he is still on ebay for a while. I haven't dealt with any of them, so can't comment on their service.
    Last edited by mudnut; 8th December 2016 at 07:28 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    I've got the same issue with my otherwise trusty 1992 Maverick diesel. Just got a cluster from the wreckers and was wondering if there is any real issue in just swapping that flexible circuit. That would save me adding 100k to the odometer. Something I really don't want to do. Seems to me that there are only four solder joints on that board and they are for diodes that have nothing to do with the speedo. Do some of those screws electrically connect to the guts of the cluster? Anyone pulled one apart?
    Cheers.
    ps: Are there detailed diagrams in any of the manuals with details of how the cluster actually goes together or is it just treated as a unit as it is in my manuals?
    pps: Did Mark89 eventually solve his issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate should be able to pull out & swap just the speedo part from the cluster no probs. Mine stated to play up recently, got patrolapart to fix it for around 100 bucks from memory. . . Haven't yet got the car on the road to see if it works, hoping it should.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks for that. Yeah Patrolapart did not have any changeovers at the moment. I can now see how that flexible circuit just connects to everything underneath via some of those screws. Just swapping over the board from the one I picked up from the wreckers may just do the job. (next weekend) I'll let the forum know how I go.
    and thank for the quick response. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate just re-reading your post. The problem is usually in the speedo part of the cluster not the board so likely the problem won't be resolved if your keeping original speedo part. . . If that makes sense and i interpreted everything correctly . . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

davidbutton (7th August 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK then. :-) I'll see what's swappable when I get them apart. Worst case is I swap the lot and lose 100k. Doh!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast