Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New clutch GU patrol

Hi fellas,
    Found out the issue with my patrol is sadly my clutch. Been quoted 2250 exedy heavy duty clutch fitted with machined flywheel?
    What do you reckon, is it worth it
    Also, I've heard some stuff about people buying these and then getting lots of vibration through there truck. I do a fair bit of long distance driving to, so would prefer to avoid this at the same time as having a quality clutch I can rely on out bush.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vr my GU in bits now to change the clutch . its a bugger of a job !
    the clutch cost about $800.00 trade . have all the bolts out of the trans ready to get it off the engine .. the gearbox assy is huge ! .
    Am building a trolly to support it so I can get it out without being squished !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i think I'll be fine getting someone else to do it. Sounds like a bugger of a job!

Just whether or not it is worth paying $2250 for something I could;
    a) Get cheaper
    -or-
    b) Cause a shaky ride

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone give me some advice on what I should be getting as a clutch for my truck and what I'd expect to pay? Or even point me in the right direction for a post that talks about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Mate, I have never had to change out my clutch in any of my trucks yet, but my current one is getting a hammering from my eldest daughter so you never know.

It is not the clutch itself that will cause vibration in the driveline, but the flywheel type.

I do know that the owner of my old 2003 Patrol changed over the clutch at around 180,000 - 190,000 klms, and went for the factory dual mass flywheel to keep it standard.

There are numerous reports of those that are happy with the feel of the aftermarket solid flywheel, and those that aren't ... probably a 70 / 30 split I guess.

For my money when the time comes, I think I will stick with the dual mass unit, as my Patrols that I still know about have done over 10 years before needing one, so if it lasts another 10 it is OK value for money.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my clutch last year prior to trip to the West via Gunbarrel and including Kimberleys with a 4 Terrain. It cost $768 and machining flywheel cost $60. The labour to fit clutch is difficult to calculate as I also replaced both master cylinders and brake pads and general pre trip inspection at same time, all up labour was $1237 and I was happy it was good value. Tim at Hervey Bay Diesel (with Pete now retired) is great to deal with.
    Very happy with clutch with no vices on and off road.
    ps The old question on whether to replace rear main seal will arise. Probably best to while gear box is out although new or old one may or may not leak
    Last edited by Wizard52; 19th June 2017 at 10:01 AM.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard