Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Y60 Extra Cab Coil Cab Ute

Hey Crew,

Thought I would introduce myself. My name is Greg and my mate and I have a GQ Extra Cab ute we are restoring. Have searched high and low and still unsure if the ute is a chop or not so thought I would see if I can get some input from people more knowledgeable than us. Ute has rust around the back window and roof is bogged to hell and back and wondering if we should try and salvage the "factory extra cab" or if it is a chop and we can go nuts on it. Running a TB42 that goes ok, little miss we are looking into but looking for inspiration for conversions once we get her body sorted and relicensed. Thinking the obvious TB42 but wouldn't scoff at other diesels.

JN10UNY60A0003084

From this as far as I can tell from factory it was a deluxe coil sprung ute and I know some GQ utes have leafs in the back but dont know how to narrow it down further. I have found one picture of what is supposed to be a 1992 on the web have attached below for confirm/deny if our 1994 should look like that (ie it's a chop) Gold one is our rig and the white one is what I am lead to believe is factory 1992. Thanks in advanced

GQ.jpg

Factory.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Affiliate For This Useful Post:

AB (13th June 2017), MB (13th June 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will find that the GQ didn't have a factory extra cab from factory, happy to be proven wrong.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

MB (13th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a ripper project truck mates, gotta love an extra cab Patrol ute ;-) !
    Pretty sure also that they were all custom aftermarket jobbies no doubt done by gurus from WA back in the day. My GU is a 1999 firewall plated 'Laingley' custom same year as the truck manufacture obviously done straight after showroom collection.
    Are you sure there is no plate anywhere on the truck?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you got any more photos of your chop? Looks like a Gq ute back end on a chopped wagon maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (14th June 2017), Rossco (15th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the GU chop jobs the VIN plate should give away what it used to be. Mines plated a TD42 - HG41 (Originally a 4.2L diesel with 4.1 diffs). Wagons of my trucks vintage came out with HG39 '3.9s' I believe so wondering if GQ's plates were the same tell tale? Having the 2 x 80L original GU fuel tanks is another GU ute giveaway so again wondering if the GQ's setup between wagon & ute were same too? Also pretty sure that GQ's were either leaf sprung all round or coil all round, never half half like the GU DX leaf rear mine spec, telstra type beasts out there.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want an extra cab with extended chassi I have been looking into streching the cab . on my gu

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

MB (15th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    I want an extra cab with extended chassi I have been looking into streching the cab . on my gu
    A bloke near our old factory had one as his work truck was pretty cool. The extra cab had a little door in it too looked like a say 40L fidge could slide out too. Was a massive looking rig, unfortunately would get hung up on its belly off-road for sure. Full size tray though for his work was very handy as mine is only 1.9m long versus his 2.4m + Not sure how he went about GVM upgrade too as it was the lesser pay load coily arse end like mine too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah looks like a cut down wagon possibly. Could look for old body mounts or evidence of them. Assuming the utes had slightly different mount setups for the tray. .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk