Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Y62 owner but massive issue from new

Hi all,

My name is Steve and we purchased our dream family car last week, a series 3 Ti in Ivory White. Rather than put in an order and wait, we found a new example a few hundred km from us. We went from a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe but wanted a "proper" 4wd and the y62 ticked the boxes even without a diesel engine. I spent months researching them, talking to owners and looking at reviews. No one seemed to have anything bad to say except for the thirst if driven in slow city conditions.

I have joined the two Facebook group (y62 Patrol Owners Australia and Aussie Patrol y62) but have always liked to me a member of a traditional forum. I have been a regular contributor of the Australia Magna Forum for many years and have found that a great way of keeping in touch other enthusiasts and to solve issues along the way.

First impressions were clearly very good with space, great build quality and standard features (at about $15000 more than the Santa Fe when new, you can clearly see the value compared to the Hyundai). And that V8 that impresses just about anyone who drives or rides in one.

Now to the major issue we have that I am desperate to obtain some input from other owners. Our example has a interior noise that is driving us crazy. Every single bump on the road is transmitted through the body into the cab as a very low frequency throbbing/drumming sound. More uneven surfaces at low speed are worse. This has destroyed the low NVH levels of the car which would otherwise be super quiet on the road. It otherwise drives as expected with plenty of power, smooth gear changes, straight-line stability and a rattle-free interior. To be honest I've never been in a car with a similar sound. One way to describe it is trying to sleep next to a house having a loud party and all you can here is the thump of the drums through the alls, except it is very bump on the road. Also a little like the noise you get when you drive with a half open rear window. You can make out the noise just rolling at a few km/hr in a carpark.

The local dealer has had the car once so far and acknowledged the issue but has had no luck tracking down the source. They are currently waiting for Nissan Australia tech support to get back to them. It such that I will have to leave it with the dealer/Nissan until it is fixed, otherwise the car is not usable in my opinion.

I've been under the car myself and the only possibility I could find was the metal shield over the fuel tank. I removed this for a test but it made no difference (is back on now).

I wonder if this be a resonance through the hydraulic suspension system? If anyone has had a similar issue I would appreciate some input. Given I have never driven another y62 then I have told myself this could be normal for them but can't imagine this to be the case. I have one friend with a series 1 T1 locally but her car is away on a central Australia trip for the next 2 weeks.

In the meantime it sits in our carport unused................
    Last edited by steve_bunkle; 4th June 2017 at 11:45 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Give Andrew a buzz at ON-Track in Malcom crt Kealba Vic.
    He may have some answers for you.
    No thoughts from Nissan on warranty ,,sorry that was a jokelol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice RE Andrew at ON-Track. I'll give him a buzz. It does worry me about Nissan and their warranty. Although I didn't much care for our Santa Fe, the Hyundai warranty was no-fuss and we had a half dozen issues fixed in 3 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i wonder if a tyre has an egg in it,not totally round if you know what i mean...the only thing i can think of...you could check all wheels by just lifting them with ya jack so they just and only just clear surface and spin them?
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with Avo, seeing its a speed and road condition issue is look at tyres first.
    Cheap tyres can make all sorts of weird noises on road, and it may well be enhanced by the hydraulic suspension..

I was on the aussie y62 page for a bit and would have no hesitation on asking those guys to.
    Some very knowledgeable people on the page.
    But welcome to the forum. I hope you sort it soon.
    Are you planning a off road build with tgis car or more a family car?
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking it could be tyres even though they are new. I've started doing a rotation one by one with the spare and no change in the problem so far (have done both rear tyres). Hopefully hear back from dealer soon as this is a major warranty issue that I shouldn't have to sort myself.

I have small plans for the car including a tow car/brake controller for our campervan as well as a bull bar and lights down the track. I'm not spending a cent until it is sorted out though. Ive posted in the Aussie y62 page on Facebook but only a few comments so far.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi steve, mate welcome to the forum. Have you any success with sorting this issue out?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, an update is on order. The car is 3 weeks old now and I still haven't had any enjoyment of it. It sits at the local dealer waiting for parts as they think there could be a hydraulic leak from one of the pressure accumulators the HBMC system. They can't say this is definitely causing the issue but its the next thing Nissan have told them to do. I guess my gripe is this has left the factory faulty and I've spend a large amount of money on a car I can't use and there has been no offer of a loan car etc. Pretty ordinary overall as this is our main family car and we can't use it. I have leave coming up and we can't really go away as planned etc. Really regretting the decision to trade the Santa Fe....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Nissan service, at least you are getting some action, most of the time they send you on your way saying that is just a Patrol thing
    Good luck mate, it might pay to buy a little run around car

................on the road

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old d22 I can use but that's clearly not the same of having the enjoyment of a new y62. Also can't take the family away in that. But at least not stranded.

I went for a ride in a local y62 Ti-L just to confirm it's not me going mad and imagining the noise. It was whisper quiet. Thanks Carl!

Will see how things pan out next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast