Thread: Odometer Overclocking / Cluster Part Failure

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odometer Overclocking / Cluster Part Failure

Reposting (had initially posted as an introduction by mistake)

Hi all,

I hope you are well. I am based in Nairobi, Kenya, recently bought a second hand Nissan Patrol 2004 TB45 (4.5 Liter Petrol). The odometer is overclocking, for example, 5km for every 1km travelled. I took it to my local mechanic who have diagnosed a cluster fail and quoted USD 2000 for a new cluster. Though from my google searches I can see this is quite a common problem / defect for Nissan Patrols with lots of different options out there to fix, from earthing, to correcting voltage sparks / fluctuations. I am not a mechanic or mechanically savvy enough to do these.

Basically wanted to check if anyone has had a similar problem and if there is a temporary or permanent fix to the issue? My concern is spending money on a new cluster and then the problem still continuing.

Thank you!

Mowgli

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does the spedometer show the correct speed or is that incorrect as well? Not sure how a 2004 mod works but if both the speed and k's travelled are out I would think the sender end of things ie. gearbox. If only the distance is wrong, I guess the cluster somehow "calculates" the distance from the speedometer, either mechanicaly or electronically. Small descrepancies somtimes occur because of wrong gear ratios, wrong diffs or different size wheels, but 5:1 is hugh.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,292 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Does the spedometer show the correct speed or is that incorrect as well? Not sure how a 2004 mod works but if both the speed and k's travelled are out I would think the sender end of things ie. gearbox. If only the distance is wrong, I guess the cluster somehow "calculates" the distance from the speedometer, either mechanicaly or electronically. Small descrepancies somtimes occur because of wrong gear ratios, wrong diffs or different size wheels, but 5:1 is hugh.
    Yeah the first thing I'd check is the speedo gear tooth count. You can PM me your VIN and I can see what it should be and then you simply remove the sender unit from the box, one bolt, and see if the gear is what its supposed to be.