Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warning lights on dash

Hi there,
    i have just joined as i was looking for information on a problem that i have with my 4.2 fuel injected GQ patrol on gas.
    Whilst driving home last night, 3 warning lights came on....a red battery light, a red exclaimation light came on at the top rhs of the dash and a yellow light at the bottom of the tacho that looks like some kind of filter or radiator symbol.
    As i dont have an owners manual i want to what the yellow light means. and the relationship that it has to the other 2 lights . The car ran faultlessly for over 50 kms after the lights came on and the headlights were working, the car starts with no problem. i have disconnected and reconnected the battery terminals, and the lights are still on. I am assuming that the battery light is an alternator issue, the yellow light and the red exclaimation light i am not sure of.
    If any other owners have had this issue i would appreciate the feedback......thanks matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Battery Light - could be something wrong with the charging system

Red Exclamation - Brake warning light - Parking brake is on or you may have low brake fluid

not sure on the third what your referring 2

can you post up a pic mate???

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third orange light sounds like the air filter blocked indicator - when did you last change/clean the air filter mate??

The battery light could be the system itself, the alternator not charging, the battery not holding voltage etc ...

The other one I'm unsure of - would have to go have a squiz at mine ...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i took a stab in the dark i would agree with Scotty, but would like 2 see pic if possible, i'm pretty sure the air filter blocked is the only one that comes up orange, but not 100%
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep... the orange one is the air filter warning. There is a differential pressure switch that looks at the pressures before and after the air filter.

If all 3 illuminated at the same time I would suggest it is a wiring/voltage/earth issue and not actual faults as all 3 'systems' are totally unrelated to each other.

First thing I would do is check the Alternator output voltage across the battery terminals with the engine idling... should be 13.8 or more. If it is about 12 something you may have dropped a phase of the alternator which can do some unusual things.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (30th April 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (30th April 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi guys, and a big thanks to you all.
    I have worked out that the alternator has done itself a mischief so am currently trying to source a new one. The best price i can get from repco is about $430.00....so if anyone has one for sale then please let me know. I am situated in melbourne (spotswood) thru the week, but go home to traralgon (latrobe valley) on the weekends.
    once again thank you to all......matt
    P.s. i am changing the air filter element as well......seems like a wise thing to do....!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this thread, post #6 may interest you; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ght=alternator

I'm sure Paul (Patch697) won't hesitate to provide more information if you are interested.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer
    Please Post an Introduction up in the Intro section and some pics would be nice !!
    ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS