Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel tank repair stick

Has anyone actually used one of these? http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...ck-1-oz/379867

It looks like a good idea for the outback spares kit.

I have steel putty, but using it on a leaking fuel tank could mean having to first drain the tank.

On the pack this says it says it sticks to ‘Gasoline wet metal’. Anyone know if it sticks to ‘diesel wet metal’?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That would be good to just in the spare kit for sure mate. Next to the steel putty, and the bar of soap. Soap works too if you didn't know. But its small so why wouldn't you chuck one in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (27th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried it, but did find this bad review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCVqKs_GO_0

drill a hole in ur tank and let us know if it works
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Woof (27th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Todd, but I think I’ll give your suggestion a miss! I did find another Youtube video after watching the one you linked to where someone showed using a similar product which appeared to work following a pretty thorough cleaning of the tank.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has used it (or anything else which has worked) first hand.

I managed a successful temporary repair on a plastic tank leak using a tek screw once, but doubt it would work on a metal tank.

MrsTea assures me we’ll have a bar of soap with us Mark & DT.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa in all honesty done a few ks on dirt in 2wheel drives and 4x4's and only had one hit too fuel tank in a over loaded HR so used soap ( bar of velvet ) . Personly wouldn't bother .
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've used one... it worked but i was working above the petrol line and had easy access and plenty of time. not convinced its a great fix.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know many dont like the 4wd Action guys and vids but on one episode they punched a hole in the tank on the GQ. And they showed how they did a road side repair which works really well. One thing that is a must is cleanliness. They first drained the tank and then wire brushed the area and made sure it was 100% clean. I'm only guessing if someone has a bad experience with these kinds of products, they have not prepared the are properly.
    Last edited by mudski; 27th May 2017 at 07:29 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (28th May 2017)