Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plug wiring

Hey guys,

I'm looking at wiring this in on the weekend while I've got the drawers and seats out to do some other mods.

Not being so hot on the auto electrical knowledge, can I just run a positive and negative wire directly from my deep cycle battery to each of these plugs with an inline fuse in each or will I need relays?

If it's as simple as that, what size wiring would I use for each and what size fuses? (ignore the anderson plug, that wiring already exists)

On a side note, does anyone know what the purpose of the round black button is?

Cheers

back.jpg
    front.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The black button looks like a normal on off switch. Handy for lights or turning off a certain socket etc.

You can wire it up directly to the deep cycle if you wish but would fuse them independently.
    Wiring may be dependent on where you have the deep cycle located. And how fussy you are too
    If its under the bonnet i would run heavy gauge wiring to a bus bar or independent fuse box (can buy them from jaycar).

You could also do this if its in the rear as well or alternatively run separate wiring to the battery from each plug with a fuse inline on each.

As for the wiring size would personally would run 15 -20 amp wire to the sockets themselves. This would be around 10 -12 AWG.
    The run from under bonnet would need to exceed the current draw for the sockets in total. Dont forget you will have some voltage drop in longer power runs so oversized wiring helps reduce this too. So look at somewhere around 4 AWG.

As for fuses 10 amp would be a good start. I like to run the smallest possible fuse for the given current draw from the socket.
    Eg: abc light draws 6.7 amp. I would then use a 7.5 amp fuse.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add if you run them direct to the battery they will be always on. If you dont want this then you will need to install a relay thats triggered by the ignition.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have a mix of a bit of everything there it would seem... Merit plug, Ciggy Plug, USB etc.

The 'black button' will either be a momentary switch or a push on/push off (outside chance it is a thermal but i doubt it).

I would drill and mount a C/B on the Panel (say beside the top socket) run the power from the back of the Anderson.
    If that isn't an option then feed it from a fused or circuit breaker protected connection at the Battery
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The black round button looks like a circuit breaker to me. Is there any writing on the side of it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    The black round button looks like a circuit breaker to me. Is there any writing on the side of it?
    That was my first thought also.
    'cause I can't see any rating due to the angle of the pic's and I have some 'momentary's' that look like that (with the lug on the bottom) I went for a switch as a best guess over a thermal.

Thinking about it more now and given the panel layout with the device directly above the Anderson +ve, I reckon you are more likely correct... as usual
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th May 2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Does this panel fit into the rear LHS cut out on a GU.
    I ran H/D figure 8 along the chassis then up to the quartet panel
    via the rubber grummet underneath
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    That was my first thought also.
    'cause I can't see any rating due to the angle of the pic's and I have some 'momentary's' that look like that (with the lug on the bottom) I went for a switch as a best guess over a thermal.

Thinking about it more now and given the panel layout with the device directly above the Anderson +ve, I reckon you are more likely correct... as usual

Looks like we may never know. The only reason I could think of why they would fit a momentary switch was if a voltmeter was also installed in the panel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Looks like we may never know. The only reason I could think of why they would fit a momentary switch was if a voltmeter was also installed in the panel.
    I was thinking water pump at the time of my original post (I had one setup like that on a prev rig) however I reckon I am wrong.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the thoughts everyone. I went and bugged the guys in at Jaycar for about half an hour and have got it all sorted out. Will put up some photos of it all finished in the week or so hopefully. Cheers for the replies