Thread: Battery light comes on at high revs

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gday gday,
    So I got the problem sorted and all is really good now.
    So what went wrong?
    Well since i asked you all what i should do i will mention that the alternator smelled like it was on fire and you could see sparks inside it when it was running. so i knew i was for sure gunna have to replace it, turns out my mate had one on an engine out the back of his workshop and it was as smooth as. so i managed to wrangle that off him that for a carton of XXXX gold (what a deal!!!!!). any way while pulling out the busted alternator i found that there is a thin black wire that is very hard to see from the underside of the car and well it was not connected!! So i reckon that that is the source of the battery light issue. WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!. Since fitting the XXXX alternator i have had no issues with battery charge levels or that annoying little battery light.
    So thanks to everyone for their help!
    I would just like to mention too that i believe that the sparks and the burning smell from the alternator are to due me going camping over the easter weekend and driving through several mud holes that had a lot of sand in them and were well used that weekend and never had a chance to settle. This gritty mud got into the alternator and just acted like an abrasive and wore away the protective coating on the coils inside, hense the sparks. Just quickly too i noticed i had to give my radiator a really good hose out cause it got full of mud and the engine was therfore running slightly warm on the way home. but all is good now just gunna get a nice new battery since i dont trust the one that my old alternator flattened. but i will charge the suspect battery and if it does seem to hold charge ok then its just an isolator away from having a duel battery setup. Cool
    Hope this can help someone else in the future
    My Pride and Joy, stock standard White 1998 GU 2.8L Turbo Diesel. Mods yet to come, I only bought it in Dec 2010, Cant wait to have some money saved and get started!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply mate & im glad you got it sorted.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the update.

Well you can't complain about the cost.

If you still have the old alternator I recommend that you pull it apart and have a look inside.

This will give you a good understanding of what was happening.

Cheers Rodney

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep definately sounds like the alternator is a goner, mine blew about 10 months ago melting a battery, batery cables & destroying a $700 batery isolator/management system. Lot's of fun, oh well all new & fixed now. Good luck mate.

Edit,
    Sorry mate did'nt see the second page, all good problem sorted good to hear.
    Last edited by Dark 1; 10th May 2011 at 11:39 PM.
    Watch out there's a Poo "Yota" lurking in the shadows !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reg in the alternator
    Cheers Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12