Thread: Newbie - 2006 TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just on our fuel consumption & towing.

I'm not a leadfoot & usually get around 1050kms from main & sub tank (95 & 85 litres) before refilling, driving solo locally, never less than a 15 or 20km return journey, mix of town & country.

Interestingly I recently used both tanks, on longer drives, of which about half was towing the Tvan. Significantly the time towing the Tvan was accompanying friends in their OKA based motorhome, who stuck rigidly to an 85kph touring max. My trip counter is now reading 1080, and based upon previous experience I still have enough fuel for at least another 70kms, possibly a bit more. That is at least an extra 100kms per fill - a combination of less stop/start driving, plus lower & more consistent speed. This works out at 15.something litres per 100km.

I had expected a difference in fuel consumption, but thought that towing would probably result in much the same as I usually get solo. Seems that the Tvan makes little to no difference echoing Rossco's experience, but similar fuel consumption to Ronny (The extra width & height of the Telstra pod & the roof mounted solar create drag, & the vehicle has a raised GVM)
    Last edited by Cuppa; 23rd May 2017 at 11:00 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Rotten Ronny (23rd May 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day
    I don't normally weigh in on fuel consumption, to many variables, driving style , tyre sizes , roof racks , head winds all make a difference, for me I get anywhere between 15 - 20+ , towing 3t full height offroad van , I will happily sit on 100kph all day in 4th , tdi 4.2 on 285s full length rack 3 inch turbo back muffed exhaust and snorkel .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Rotten Ronny (23rd May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a lead foot either and drive very conservatively. I get max 650kms out of 80lt + 30lt reserve so economy is shit and put camper or van and we have a problem. your truck has more fuel capacity and TVan much lighter than my tow so you will be in front. Many of guys have recommended Diesel-tec so i will see how they fix truck economy.
    Thanks for the advice Cuppa and i will let everyone know how i go

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input Winnie,
    On the weight of numbers (recommendations by other posts) I will be going to Diesel-tec and let all know how I go

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gaddy and thanks for your input, what year is your truck and what size tyres are you running?

Your spot on as i mentioned in earlier post my truck is hamburger with the lot and creates a bit of drag.

My setup is 2" EFS lift, BFG KM2 33's, 3" exhaust, Nissan snorkel, ARB Deluxe bar, Warn XDC 9.5 winch, Lightforce 240 XGT, ARB sidesteps and brush bars, ARB front and rear lockers, ARB underbonnet compressor, ARB turbo timer, Autron pillar pod gauges, ARB full lenth alloy roof rack, Foxwing Awning, 32" HiLift (genuine) jack, Redarc dual battery, Redarc BCDC charger, 42" LED bar on rack, Black widow drawers (full of recovery gear and other shit), cargo barrier and top shelf, 40lt Engel, Pioneer AVIC-F10BT Navi, plus lots lots more as well as map of AUS on bonnet for the big lap!.

I'm going to Diesel-tec for some therapy
    Last edited by Rotten Ronny; 24th May 2017 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your input Rosco as I will going to see Andrew at Diesel-tec

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Pete and welcome to the forum! i think i can say that now! Don't know about that a i got smoked at the lights this morning by a P plater in old GQ (non turbo i think but wasn't close enough to hear ha Ha!) but i wasn't trying to beat him. (no that's not true as I would have loved too but gave up after his 2nd gear lurch forward)

Whats your truck?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello RR and welcome to the forum, most of all enjoy
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Rotten Ronny (24th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am humbled to receive your comment (being a God you know and me a nobody!)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AB, Diesel-Tec did great job and is new truck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotten Ronny For This Useful Post:

AB (26th June 2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123