Thread: Karajini and Ruddall River National Parks WA

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent trip report Steve, makes a great read. I notice you log fuel consumption in LPH. Is this a function output from a standard nissan trip computer or do you use an aux flowmeter setup? I am looking at the Scintex Dual Digital flowmeter setup for my GQ and keen to hear from what others are doing. I don't have the same electronic level of sophistication as the late model GU. Phil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Excellent trip report Steve, makes a great read. I notice you log fuel consumption in LPH. Is this a function output from a standard nissan trip computer or do you use an aux flowmeter setup? I am looking at the Scintex Dual Digital flowmeter setup for my GQ and keen to hear from what others are doing. I don't have the same electronic level of sophistication as the late model GU. Phil
    Glad you liked the report, I thought I better get it finished while the memory was fresh!
    Electronic sophistication isn't what I'd use to describe my GU Patrol. I do use a scan gauge, but its really only used to clear any fault codes and monitoring water temp. The fuel calcs are from actual litres in vs kilometres travelled. My Odometer is also out by about 7.3%, so I use GPS traveled km's when calculating the fuel. It's not entirely accurate as the fill levels may vary slightly when using different fuel bowsers, but its close enough for trip planning.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. I am setting mine up for remote area travel and want to know what range i have before I start heading off into the unknown, and then what fuel rate I am chewing thru it at. The Scintex gear is fairly dear, circa $1200 for dual flowmeters to measure supply and return, then the remote panel. Exactly what I want but doing the research to see if I can get a simple and accurate system for less $.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks. I am setting mine up for remote area travel and want to know what range i have before I start heading off into the unknown, and then what fuel rate I am chewing thru it at. The Scintex gear is fairly dear, circa $1200 for dual flowmeters to measure supply and return, then the remote panel. Exactly what I want but doing the research to see if I can get a simple and accurate system for less $.
    I usually allow around around 20lph for desert type trips with a lot of slow going, the Patrol has been a thirsty beast since I bought it new in January and she used a bit more than I expected in the slow stuff at around 21lph. I had 165 litres including two Jerrys when I left my last fuel stop, this should have been enough to do what I wanted and get me to Jigalong Community to refuel, which was on the route home. But after a couple of days of pushing through slow stuff, we re-evaluated and decided Parngurr would be a safer option, even though we had to head in the opposite direction to get there. It was around 100km less in distance to get to Parngurr for fuel, but we knew we would get there with spare fuel onboard. There was about 15 litres left in the tank when we got to Parngurr, so if we had gone to Jigalong it would have been nearly bone dry.

I am not sure I'd spend $1200 on fuel metering, just add in a substantial margin to your calcs for worst case scenario and you'll be ok. I'd throw the $1200 into a larger aux fuel tank if you don't already have one. I'll eventually add the larger LRA Aux tank, and maybe the replacement main tank for a total of 215 litres. I like to have fuel in reserve in case of detours, which can be common in the wet seasons.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    I usually allow around around 20lph for desert type trips with a lot of slow going, the Patrol has been a thirsty beast since I bought it new in January and she used a bit more than I expected in the slow stuff at around 21lph. I had 165 litres including two Jerrys when I left my last fuel stop, this should have been enough to do what I wanted and get me to Jigalong Community to refuel, which was on the route home. But after a couple of days of pushing through slow stuff, we re-evaluated and decided Parngurr would be a safer option, even though we had to head in the opposite direction to get there. It was around 100km less in distance to get to Parngurr for fuel, but we knew we would get there with spare fuel onboard. There was about 15 litres left in the tank when we got to Parngurr, so if we had gone to Jigalong it would have been nearly bone dry.

I am not sure I'd spend $1200 on fuel metering, just add in a substantial margin to your calcs for worst case scenario and you'll be ok. I'd throw the $1200 into a larger aux fuel tank if you don't already have one. I'll eventually add the larger LRA Aux tank, and maybe the replacement main tank for a total of 215 litres. I like to have fuel in reserve in case of detours, which can be common in the wet seasons.
    Steve, thanks for the reply. I have the 147L rear and 70L belly tank already. I am running the Chev Optimiser 6.5L V8 and its brand new so unsure on consumption as engine still very tight. i have found some cheaper units on ebay, circa $500 - $700. Also some really cheap units out of China for less that $50, but whilst the accuracy is acceptable, not all that keen on the plastic body and plastic threads for sealing. I have thrown out a few enquiries to the aviation suppliers who have more robust metal bodied units and these are in the $700 mark for supply and return sender that do the maths internally. Will see what comes back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, thanks for the reply. I have the 147L rear and 70L belly tank already. I am running the Chev Optimiser 6.5L V8 and its brand new so unsure on consumption as engine still very tight.
    Half your luck, I think mine will end up with a V8 conversion in future years, I'm hoping someone starts doing the Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0 litre V8 to Patrol conversion

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234