Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karajini and Ruddall River National Parks WA

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i should add it took along time to get back to the car the other end,she and here younger sibvling was a bit upset not to find the car at the top when they got to it
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (21st May 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    I'll be up that way later this year all going to plan its been too long since my last visit.

Did you get chased out of Wittenoom but the one of the remaining residents? When I last called through there there was still people living there, very eerie place. Drove through the town towards the gorges and then turned around and went back to our camp site in Karijini.
    Didn't get chased out, but didn't like the vibe of the place either. We were going to camp near the old mine, but I said to the missus, the people still in town know we will be down here alone, so I'm keen to head out of here, in case they like our possessions more than we do!
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Avo (21st May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Didn't get chased out, but didn't like the vibe of the place either. We were going to camp near the old mine, but I said to the missus, the people still in town know we will be down here alone, so I'm keen to head out of here, in case they like our possessions more than we do!
    yep i have been to a few spots that are to wolf creek even for me...honest

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great write up and photos.
    Definitely on my to do list now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

stevemc181 (21st May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    photo taken of how tuff me kids are.same walk towards circular pool
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

MB (21st May 2017), stevemc181 (21st May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    yep i have been to a few spots that are to wolf creek even for me...honest
    Hahaha, exactly the term I used to the Missus, I also said John Jarret probably lives here!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second part of this trip report begins with an early departure from the Albert Tognolini (Thanks Cuppa) rest Area where we had camped. This is an awesome little spot for an overnighter, despite the evidence of a few poo tickets around. For christs sake, dig a hole or take a bag for disposal later! We use a Jimmy’s thunderbox with enviro bags, if the grounds too hard to dig, we simply keep the bag in a bucket or the rear bin bag till later in the day when we pass a spot that’s easier to dig and dispose of it.
    The old knee’s are too knackered now for the squatting in the bush, I’m in danger of falling backwards into my own crap! 😉 Not to mention, spinifex is damn spikey stuff to squat in!

The view from our camp:

We headed into Newman and restocked on a few supplies before heading off to our intended destinations for the night. This is a place called Running Waters which is off of the Skull Springs road. Basically, hang a right at Nullagine and head up the road for 100k or so. We camped here in July Last year and it was bloody spectacular, but what a difference this year was with a lot more rain. We crossed a few creek crossings on Skull Springs Rd.

Eventually if you keep your eyes peeled, you will see a kangaroo sculpture on a hill, the track entry to Running Waters is opposite this.

I don’t have many pics of in here, but will upload a short video of how wet it was in here. We crossed the springs, which is first gear low range over all the tree roots and river rocks. This is a hard enough drive when you can see the rocks. We couldn’t see anything as it was all still flooded and vastly different to how we remembered it only 9 months ago. We gave up trying to get to the last spot we had camped at and turned around and camped at the only available spot we could find. It wasn’t ideal, but we were out of options.

We made the most of it and heated up some creek water on the fire for a well needed shower. We generally collect our wood well before any popular camping spots. This trip I thought I’d just take my small 10” Ryobi Cordless chainsaw, it worked a treat and easily handled our forewood load on one 4 a/h battery. The 12 volt charger charges the batteries just as quickly as the home charger, so that’s a plus!

After dark, trying to cook dinner in here was near on impossible, I’ve never seen so many damn bugs so beer and bourbon and an early night it was.

The next morning we headed off to Ruddall River via the Telfer Mine Road, this is all good road, but frequent road trains can be expected.

There are plenty of signs telling you the mine does not offer employment or have diesel etc, they really don’t like travellers I think!

Telfer Gold Mine is a massive operation, but when heading to Ruddall river from this way, you will hang a right near the mine security gates and head onto the main North/South Ruddall River road. There are signs every 5km, asking you to call up your position and direction of travel on Channel 39. I assume as there is quite a bit of exploration going on out here, it is a reasonable safety option. We did the right thing and made the call every 5km’s but heard nothing back, so we were surprised to come across two vehicles stopped for lunch along the way and also a bogged landcruiser towing a trailer. The guy in the landcruiser was struggling along with 30psi in the tyres, but in usual fashion was reluctant to drop them to 16psi when I recommended it. So I left them to it and carried on.

I didn’t take any pics of the tracks into here or desert queen baths, but will upload a video when I get a chance that covers it all pretty well.

There is no walking tracking into DQB, but it’s only a brief rock hop into the gorge to get to the first and best waterhole. We had a swim here, bloody freezing but good to get the grime off once again.

The next water hole is a little more difficult to get to, shoes are recommended! It wasn’t one I’d swim in though.
    There is some rock art up near the small caves on the left side of the waterhole as you walk in.

We initially thought we would spend a couple of days here, but one was enough to do what we wanted so we packed up and headed off for our next destination.

More to come:

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (21st May 2017), gaddy (22nd May 2017), gubigfish (21st May 2017), jack (21st May 2017), pearcey (22nd May 2017), PeeBee (21st May 2017), Touses (22nd May 2017), Woof (23rd May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘LV’ - Light Vehicle??
    The colours of the country are just stunning in that part of the world!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    ‘LV’ - Light Vehicle??
    The colours of the country are just stunning in that part of the world!
    Yep, you'll hear LV a lot on Channel 40 over here, particularly through the highway roadworks and oversize vehicle convoys of which there are many on the great northern hwy. HV and LV are pretty common terms for them to use for trucks and cars respectively.

I've noticed a lot of the Missus photos are a bit washed out taken on her Samsung Note phone when compared to my iPhone, so maybe I damaged it when I dropped it in the water? We really need to invest in a better camera, but we generally just point and shoot. I love the red of the Pilbara and also the Desert Country, the sun in the morning and afternoon can have some stunning effects.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Really enjoyed the video & your comments about the main tracks are encouraging. (Spinifex vehicle fire risk is something that gives me the heebie jeebies!). I had been thinking of taking the Tvan along the Gary Junction Rd, hanging a left at the CSR & following it down to Georgia Bore & turning right onto the Talawana to Parngurr. Then having a look around Rudall River NP before continuing on to the Great Northern hwy & then going across to the coast via Mt Augustus & the Kennedy Ranges NP. Not sure how it would be towing the Tvan down that section of the CSR (200kms?). An alternative would be taking the Gary Hwy down to the eastern end of the Talawana, but not sure if this would be any easier though.

It'll probably be this time next year before we get out that way though. Am hopeful we might be able to make some connection with folk at Parngurr before we go. I think the Martu people have been organising a walk through country for 'outsiders' annually for the past couple of years as part of their efforts to protect their lands from the uranium miners.

It's just great to hear of your experience in country I dream about. MrsTea even says she'll get out to move scrub like Brenda did!
    G`Day Cuppa and Mrs Tea.
    I dragged a camper trailer the length of the CSR a few years back only getting stuck once, ran tyres at 15psi, I don`t think you would have any trouble with your set up. I spent nearly 5 months, on my own dragging an 1800Kg off road van all over WA last year, and on some of the tracks you mention. The trick (well not a trick) just commonsense, is to take it slowly and don`t be a hero. I also dragged the van up the Balladonia track with out any issues.
    Can`t wait for your trip I bet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast