Thread: Leaking I/C questions

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaking I/C questions

Hey guys just a quick question
    So my 2000 GU SERIES 2 ZD30di has a leaking intercooler. Is it common for it to leak a lot of oil bc today I pulled the cooler off and found lots of oil pooled on top of intake manifold and it has soaked down the driver side of the motor. Glow plug seals aren't leaking and neither are the injector seals oh almost forgot neither is rocker cover.

Just need verification that's all
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackCollo View Post
    Hey guys just a quick question
    So my 2000 GU SERIES 2 ZD30di has a leaking intercooler. Is it common for it to leak a lot of oil bc today I pulled the cooler off and found lots of oil pooled on top of intake manifold and it has soaked down the driver side of the motor. Glow plug seals aren't leaking and neither are the injector seals oh almost forgot neither is rocker cover.

Just need verification that's all
    Yep it happens. Mine looked like a rear seal so much oil had run down. I think the oil gets caught by the airflow over the motor and through the IC and blows everywhere. Looks 100 times worse than it is. Replace the IC with a tigged one and clean the motor. Then go from there.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's really strange because I was expecting a bigger leak and when I pulled intercooler off all I saw was a few drops of oil on the cooler but was drenched everywhere else

Can you recommend any good brands I've heard a lot of really good things about the HPD one and cross country but other than that I'm clueless

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got mine from a local source here in Perth, Browns radiators for about $300. As you say CC and HPD seem popular. Many radiator shops are doing them now but I don't know of who to recommend on the east coast. Browns do internet sales I think. Just google them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine is doing the same - just ordered a direct replacement from Diesel Smart. There is a lot of threads on this but I felt that DS offered the best price and some guarantee over a fleabay knock off.... I hope!!

will let you know how it looks when I get it.

AM

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I believe they leak from new to a certian extent, keep yourself a fully tig welded and tested one
    from some one like Diesel Smart,,,problem solved
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

JackCollo (21st May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just really strange with the amount of oil there is I thought it must have been a gasket or a seal gone but there is no sign of the glow plug seals leaking or the injector seals.
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack, the intercoolers are a culprit for leaks on top of the engine. If it is letting by, it is going to be obvious with dirty oil showing you exactly where the leak is.
    My thoughts are checking again that glow plug seal under the throttle body is ok. The last one at the back of the rocker cover.
    You'll have to remove the throttle body to get to it but I'm betting that could be a possible cause for the oil in the area you're talking about. It is a lot of oil, but as it comes out in a fine mist under pressure it can go everywhere with no obvious point of exit.
    You can clean that throttle body out while it's off as well!
    Just an idea...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daveyboyjunior For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackCollo View Post
    It's just really strange with the amount of oil there is I thought it must have been a gasket or a seal gone but there is no sign of the glow plug seals leaking or the injector seals.
    Mate the oil you see is just blow by from the motor. You have a hose that come from the rocker cover and goes into the air intake hose. This is recirculated crank case vapours. Which are oily. This is the oil you see. To reduce this oil, you instal an oil catch catch, which goes inline on this hose and filters the vapours before they re enter the air intake.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post: