Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howdy

Hi all,

I'm an owner of a 1994 4.2 EFI Ti, automatic. Currently we're only running gas, as we removed the petrol system some time ago when it was living in the city and we weren't going to the "effort" of flicking the switch from LPG to Petrol every couple of days to keep the petrol system alive. The first time we paid to get the petrol running again, the second time we removed the petrol system.

Now, we're tossing up whether to invest money in the Patrol or sell it!! Not mechanically minded at all, so will likely have plenty of questions. We're not interested in creating an off-road beast or anything like that, we just want a reliable GQ Patrol to take us most places we want to get to that may not be achievable in regular vehicles. Right now, I don't sit in my Patrol feeling confident that it's going to get me where I need to go without issue, which really is probably not justified. I've taken the Patrol over from my old man - it's been in the family for 20 years.

My first task here is to find out what are the first steps to take - we're thinking we'll re-engage the petrol, but haven't ruled out sticking with lpg only and increasing fuel tank capacity?, next, do we invest in auto box mods even though current one seems ok .. Sometimes it seems a bit slow changing from first to second. The diff lock (which I've only used once) got stuck and took some effort and probably mostly luck to release it, so probably needs replacing (although is it required at all if not doing anything too serious?). Then there are minor issues (mostly electrical) like the stereo not working (tried to replace that myself and failed MISERABLY!), elec windows not all working, elec aerial not working, interior lining on a couple doors coming loose ... The positives are that the body is in great nick, current engine has only done 200-250,000 kms .... I feel like investment in engine and auto should result in a super reliable vehicle? The other stuff is not so important ...

That's where we are at with out Patrol!! We don't have particularly deep pockets, but we're prepared to invest a bit if it helps us end up with a vehicle that will reliably last a while longer yet -- around the 5k mark?? Does that sound possible or needs more than that? Can probably go a little higher, if worth it.

Look forward to researching the threads and learning a bit from people who know infinitely more than I do about cars/Patrols.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the Patrol on the beach once (a few months ago) and didn't have the power to get out, when it should have been a walk in the park. Much lesser vehicles were getting out without trouble. So there is obviously not enough power.

Also, the stereo is an issue with stereo/amp/speakers I think .. The whole lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, if you don't get any answers here try starting a new thread with questions in a different category as a lot of people don't read the intro section.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

shmittens (17th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dhuck For This Useful Post:

shmittens (17th May 2017)