User Tag List

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say plenty thick enough, the hole you are blocking is only about 25 mm in dia. to my mind you would need about 250psi to distort the plate over that area,
    stainless is not as flexible as mild steel. some have even used brass. The plates I am using are 1.6mm, heaps.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bought a grenade zd 30 patrol 190000 km cracks in 1 and 4 pistons starting from centre leading out start outer edge of combustion chamber this im told is extreme cooling from over fueling and have advised to have the fuel system overhauled anyone aggree

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justrocho View Post
    just bought a grenade zd 30 patrol 190000 km cracks in 1 and 4 pistons starting from centre leading out start outer edge of combustion chamber this im told is extreme cooling from over fueling and have advised to have the fuel system overhauled anyone aggree
    Over fuelling will over heat the combustion chamber on a diesel not cool it like a petrol engine. Your cracked pistons are a result of extreme heat due to over fuelling. Also check the cylinder heads for cracks between the glow plug holes and exhaust valves because that's another area that we commonly find cracks. I suspect it's partly due to the long glow periods that the early ZD30 motors used. Overfuelling is often the result of a faulty or dirty MAF sensor. The MAF plays a large part in mixture control.
    Cheers,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse my ignorance but is there a egr valve on petrol motors (4.5l efi)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is this a suitable mod for a TB42E, or only suited to the turbo diesel?

Cheers
    B

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EGR can't be good for any motor, petrols included. I guess it's been around for so long on petrols that we're use to it but only in recent years being used on diesels. It will shorten the life of any engine and fowl the oil much quicker.
    Last edited by Chaz; 5th December 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justrocho View Post
    Sorry to say Mate, but that's what ZD 30's do, there are a heap of mods you can do to prolong the life of the motor tho, first block the EGR and fit some sort of catch can, that's a start!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Ive got a little project to do on the weekend lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    What is EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and why should I block it?

Wiki link for in-depth explanation.

TLDR;
    *EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders.
    *EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%.

Some people have also noticed an increase in power and a quicker turbo spool. IF there are any power increases at all, they would have to be pretty minute. However, I can attest to a quicker turbo spool up by at least a few hundred revs.

How do I block the EGR Valve?

It's a pretty easy do-it-yourself job. Allow an hour or so to do the job, and make sure the motor is cool enough to work on comfortably.

This is what the EGR blanking plate should look like..

The easiest way to do this job is to loosen the 2 nuts as pictured in the 2nd picture. You don't need to take them all the way off, just loosen them enough to be able to pull the EGR Valve (big brass ufo looking thing) away from the manifold. All we are doing is sliding the plate in.

For the plate, you'll want some thin sheet metal.. I used stainless steel. I have read that tin is fine. Not too sure about alluminium.. I've read is may corrode but I'm not sure. You want to basically end up with a shape similar to what I quickly draw in the last picture. As you try to fit it, you will see where it needs to be refined to the correct shape. For this, I used Tin Snips and a round file.

Once you get a plate that fits, you slide it in between the Manifold and the EGR Valve, then tighten the 2 nuts back up. Simple as that.

Good luck!
    Well I'll be a rooster on a rocket, first time I've ever read this thread and I must say Timbo, your post and explanation couldn't be any easier to understand.
    Nice work buddy, Well done.

Cheers Pete
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgu6 For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi forgive my ignorance but what I can’t understand is how can re-circulating the hot exhaust gas cool the engine down? I have read several times that it does, one of the reasons that I blocked the EGR valve was because my number two piston melted at 56,000 miles and the EGR valve was stuck open.
    I know I’m a newbie but any help would be appreciated as I don’t won’t to burn out another piston.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast