Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I flooded my Patrol "competition" ZD30DDti and had the car sitting for a while. Due to that my EGR unit internals rusted up. So instead of spending $700 or something stupid for another unit, I was looking to remove the entire EGR assembly completely.

The answer is "you can't". This is due to math done in the ECU whereby it compares MAP (found on the intercooler) and the MAF (air box). Unfortunately, these 2 sensors is the pulse for the engine so we cannot manipulate them without upsetting the engine. This is exasperated by the fly-by-wire throttle body whereby it would close under de-acceleration to suck in the exhaust gases (suspicion at this moment but most likely what I would do as engineer).

Luckily I managed to clean up my valve unit but I took out the the rest of it cause I aren't going back.

So what I am going to look into doing is see if the car will play ball by making a plate with a tube before the valve unit going to some clean air. Introducing a 3rd element is the only way to trick the CPU. Clean air > Exhaust gases. If clean air goes into the cylinder when its expecting dirty air... I think it should be alright.

I don't see an issue at this moment. I might have to experiment with how much pressure to apply to the intake. I do have a scan gauge 2 on hand. Just need to make plates for the exhaust manifold and EGR valve.

Also, for those that added a EGR block, leave the battery off overnight. Then in the morning start the car. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE OR MOVE THE CAR till the temperature gauge is where it should be when warmed up. This is to allow the ECU to learn about your engine. It should be fine after that.
    Last edited by togenshi; 10th November 2015 at 09:52 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to togenshi For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th November 2015), LaughingBeagles (10th November 2015), mudski (10th November 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey TOgenshi.
    I have seen a similar concept on a YD25 C RD Navara. What the guy basically done is, put some sort of a Y pipe on the clean air intake. One goes to the normal intake as per usual, and the other one was piped into the EGR system. This kept the original flow of things but instead of the dirty gases, clean air was flowing through the EGR pipes, keeping the system happy, while keeping the engine cleaner.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Hey TOgenshi.
    I have seen a similar concept on a YD25 C RD Navara. What the guy basically done is, put some sort of a Y pipe on the clean air intake. One goes to the normal intake as per usual, and the other one was piped into the EGR system. This kept the original flow of things but instead of the dirty gases, clean air was flowing through the EGR pipes, keeping the system happy, while keeping the engine cleaner.
    After all that a 10buck egr plate would do a better job and is much quicker to fit... Lol.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th November 2015), Sprock (28th December 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already took the entire EGR assembly out. You should see how much more room I have to access everything. It aren't going back. I can replace the fuel filter without killing my fingers. Also I get access to most of the hoses which is a plus for when doing bush mechanics.

I got the exhaust side EGR blocked. Getting a few components for the water cooling today. A T-junction, joiner and/or spare hose is required to complete the water cooling circuit. Also will be making the EGR plate with the hole in it. I'll use some hoses to a small breather filter initially.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Instead of using TEE's have you looked at using "Y's"
    far less cavitation IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its for one of the smaller water hoses that goes into the throttle body I think?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step one. Got water hose bypass installed. Used a Ford Falcon heater hose and a T-junction to complete the cycle. EGR value is not getting water cooled any more. No need to.

Reinstalled my EGR valve and without a cover, switched on my car. Got P0400 error. Had to leave my battery off over night. Started the car and waiting till it heated up. No P0400/P0401 error so far. Will be making plate for it and a hose to after the air filter this weekend.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by togenshi View Post

.....Also, for those that added a EGR block, leave the battery off overnight. Then in the morning start the car. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE OR MOVE THE CAR till the temperature gauge is where it should be when warmed up. This is to allow the ECU to learn about your engine. It should be fine after that.
    I wasn't aware of this piece of info, I've had it blocked now for over a month.. is it still worth doing this?
    2012 CRD 30TD Auto Wagon, 15L/100km | 2" KYB Lift | 3" Exhaust | ECU Remap | HPD boost control | Provent Catch Can | EGR Block | Bullet Snorkel | Dual Battery | Redarc SBI12 | Projecta batt Monitor | Auto Headlights | iDrive Throttle Control | NU3001 7" Android Stereo | Sound Deadening| Reverse Camera | Dashcam | Amp, 12" Sub | 300W Inverter | USB Chargers | Barn Door Gas Strut | Awning | Mods list shrinking

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it works, don't touch it I guess.

As for me, got plate installed with air hose attachment fitted in however decided to do belt tensioner while I am at it and while getting the shroud off, I damaged my radiator...

*sigh*

edit: any changes to the whole combustion process, I would recommend having the CPU relearn so it can work with updated variables. Such as an increase in air flow or another intercooler.
    Last edited by togenshi; 23rd November 2015 at 02:55 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to togenshi For This Useful Post:

foggs (23rd November 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by togenshi View Post
    Also, for those that added a EGR block, leave the battery off overnight. Then in the morning start the car. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE OR MOVE THE CAR till the temperature gauge is where it should be when warmed up. This is to allow the ECU to learn about your engine. It should be fine after that.
    What exactly will the ecu relearn?

Will this method prevent the car throwing EGR flow codes?

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast