Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I haven't recalibrated the ECU, I haven't even blocked the EGR yet. I'm not sure recalibrating like that would work, I'm probably wrong, but I thought the vehicle would be a bit more involved than that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    I read the first 10 pages of this thread then ran out of time.

Is anyone here making blanking plates for the ZD30? I have 2013 GU 3L.

I think having to clear error codes generated by the EGR block will drive me crazy so I'm thinking.....

I know putting a hole in the blanking plate partially defeats the purpose, but let's say I block 50% of the gasses, that means it will take twice as long to get the same amount of EGR gassess into the intake as it would had I not partially blocked it. OR it will take 10 years to get as much EGR gassess into the intake at a 50% blocking rate instead of 5 years had I not done anything.

That sounds reasonably correct doesn't it?
    Just block that s### asap. It's like re-routing sewage into your fresh water intake.
    The code, apart from warning of something not right in the EGR system, does jack shit performance wise. It doesn't impact it one iota. For example it doesn't limp mode it or anything.
    I just left my code sitting there and once a week, I check the codes to make sure there are not other codes involved.
    Once in a blue moon that code will trigger an engine light. Have no idea WHY it doesn't do it all the time. But once again just clearing it gets rid of the engine light.
    Drilling a hole in the plate is a waste of time, you might as well don't bother at all. It's like going to a brothel just for a hug. Why waste the effort.
    Just block it completely and be done with it. Your engine will thank you for it.
    2005 TD42TI

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Ibbo (16th June 2016), mudski (16th June 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know about the legality of removing the egr system entirely? Looking at my GQ RD28 and thinking while the manifold is off it might be an idea

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerdriver View Post
    Does anyone know about the legality of removing the egr system entirely? Looking at my GQ RD28 and thinking while the manifold is off it might be an idea
    If your motor is fitted with an egr, removing the egr would be illegal and the fine is pretty exy i believe if caught without it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerdriver View Post
    Well, pretty much totally illegal to dick with the anti-pollution systems on any engine.
    But...
    The only out there may be would be if you can prove the 'changes' still passed emmissions.

Blocking or removing EGR without any other changes will mean the engine will fail NOX emmissions
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just blocked my egr and removed the butterfly from the throttle body on the intercooler last weekend (TD42) and made a big difference to the mid range.
    Was a bit doughy off the mark before and is now noticeably better.
    Can hear the turbo more now too . . . not sure of the boost as I don't have a boost gauge, but am waiting for some Auber gaugse to arrive so will know that and EGTs soon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blocked my EGR on my 2012 GU with ZD30 about a week ago, the car is a different machine. Pulls much better from a standing start and fuel consumption seems to be much better, I will only know for sure once I have run a full tank through and can compare. FWIW I put in a full blank and have had no error codes to date.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by togenshi View Post
    Pretty much. It is open quite often than not. If you are driving sensibly, it would be open for majority of the time.
    Actually EGR is load dependent, you can have a half throttle setting with full load (going uphill) and EGR would be shut, half throttle and light load (going down hill) EGR will open.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just block that sh!t and be done with it. Lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st July 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I've seen a couple of threads mention that those with a ZD30 and have put the EGR plate in get a check engine light. I also am having this just recently. When i got the car no issue, MAF dided, i put a non-genuine one in then a month later i had engine lights and limp mode. Have since adjusted my dawes valve because and bout a proper MAF, no more limp mode but i still get the light. Checked the code by bridging pins and it says EGR control valve failure or malfunction. I have cleared the codes several times but it just comes back. Any thoughts? at a guess i'd say the plate has no hole in it.

been talking to bigguwesty and he has been helpful, just thought i'd ask around some more also TIA

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Orsm6 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th July 2016)

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast