Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking the EGR Valve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blocking the EGR Valve

What is EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) and why should I block it?

Wiki link for in-depth explanation.

TLDR;
    *EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders.
    *EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%.

Some people have also noticed an increase in power and a quicker turbo spool. IF there are any power increases at all, they would have to be pretty minute. However, I can attest to a quicker turbo spool up by at least a few hundred revs.

How do I block the EGR Valve?

It's a pretty easy do-it-yourself job. Allow an hour or so to do the job, and make sure the motor is cool enough to work on comfortably.

This is what the EGR blanking plate should look like..

The easiest way to do this job is to loosen the 2 nuts as pictured in the 2nd picture. You don't need to take them all the way off, just loosen them enough to be able to pull the EGR Valve (big brass ufo looking thing) away from the manifold. All we are doing is sliding the plate in.

For the plate, you'll want some thin sheet metal.. I used stainless steel. I have read that tin is fine. Not too sure about alluminium.. I've read is may corrode but I'm not sure. You want to basically end up with a shape similar to what I quickly draw in the last picture. As you try to fit it, you will see where it needs to be refined to the correct shape. For this, I used Tin Snips and a round file.

Once you get a plate that fits, you slide it in between the Manifold and the EGR Valve, then tighten the 2 nuts back up. Simple as that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Timbo; 29th May 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Updated EGR template

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

AJTich (21st October 2013), Baldy (18th March 2011), brendiii (12th April 2013), brucemacca (7th April 2012), brw1994 (15th December 2012), caveman21 (16th June 2016), claw45 (9th September 2011), Dave82 (10th August 2012), gandalf (9th January 2014), gibbo57 (30th December 2016), growler2058 (31st October 2020), Hakan the Swede (8th July 2016), HammerBuilder (8th May 2012), ISA.13B (8th October 2014), JackJunkie (20th May 2013), Luke98patrol (16th June 2013), Mark S (8th November 2011), mudnut (25th November 2014), my third 256 (4th June 2011), OhBugger (14th August 2012), OuchOne (4th June 2022), Patrol-Guy (1st March 2014), robbo0001 (17th November 2011), rookiepatroller (13th February 2014), rsiedl (19th February 2018), Sgucul (26th May 2019), Shazlic (2nd August 2015), sujay (25th October 2013), switchgearw66 (29th September 2011), UKKiwi (1st November 2010), Waza (17th December 2013), wildgu6 (29th December 2010), Wine_maker (24th February 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have read this post first.
    Interesting your comment about only minute increase in power, makes me think why bother.
    Best template I have seen for the plate, thanks.

Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries. Took my plate off and redrew it in Illustrator.

There's a few reason to do it. I guess the ultimate being that it's increases your fuel economy by up to 25% and it's actually cleaner for the environment. Read the link in my post and it tells you about which gasses it cuts back on.
    Technically, it doesn't deliver more power, but, if your 4wd is turbo then it makes the turbo spool up quicker which means getting power slightly earlier. So in a way it is more power, but it isn't.... does that make sense? haha.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:

gandalf (9th January 2014), growler2058 (31st October 2020), inge.t (1st July 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No it makes perfect sense mate, good thread!

Would be handy if you need it quick as the 2.8's can be slow to pick up rev's.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Unit View Post
    There's a few reason to do it. I guess the ultimate being that it's increases your fuel economy by up to 25% and it's actually cleaner for the environment. Read the link in my post and it tells you about which gasses it cuts back on.
    Uuummmm thats not quite correct in our context... EGR is how Nissan chose to manage Nox emmissions to meet world anti-pollution standards. I totally agree EGR on its own does raise particulate and gas pollutant levels but these are managed by other anti-pollution systems on their engines. Therefore blocking the EGR significantly raises Nox but doesn't correspondingly lower particulates and other gases as they are already being managed by filters and Cats etc.

Don't get me wrong... I am in favour of blocking EGR (or reducing it on CRDs) but purely for selfish reasons ... it doesn't help the environment because with all its drawbacks there is no way Nissan would have EGR there unless it was absolutely necessary to meet the anti-pol regs. If they could get 25% better fuel economy without needing it they would be dancing in the streets.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's an environment? :P Nah your right with your comment. Probably not the best for the environment. Just like massive oil spills in the ocean and factories pumping out tonnes of gasses through their chimneys.. whatever we do we're adding to everything.

As for fuel economy, not every will see up to 25% gains. Most people probably won't even notice any change.. but it's pretty hard with 4wd's. They aren't the most aerodynamic beasts. Plus, we add all these accessories to our rigs and kind of expect the same economy. Suspension lifts, bullbars, rear bars, spotlights, roof racks, this that and the other.. all adds wind drag and uses more fuel.

Maybe I should change my sales pitch to "Reduces Exhaust Gas Temperatures".

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Unit View Post

Maybe I should change my sales pitch to "Reduces Exhaust Gas Temperatures".
    ROFL.. Hiya G Unit

Actually the biggest plus in my opinion would be the big reduction in soot and particulates getting shoved back thru the engine.

From the many discussions on the 'net about EGR the one common thing that stands out from all the posts is how much cleaner everyone reckons the oil is. Considering the oil is only getting a small percentage of the crud as the majority does go out the exhaust eventually it must be a VERY beneficial mod to reduce engine wear.

Waddya reckon Rusty... perhaps we need a Perth Garage Day and knock over all our ZD30's together

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

brucemacca (7th April 2012), claw45 (9th September 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Waddya reckon Rusty... perhaps we need a Perth Garage Day and knock over all our ZD30's together
    Wash your mpouth out ET, mine has six pots not four, go the mighty 2.8.
    Garage Day is a good idea though as besides the EGR I have a list of things to do and am a long way from a competent mechanic.

Paul
    Western Patrol Club member #27
    2.8TD GU --> The Red Rocket

Beginner Chambo Off to Work We Go's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the dealers and workshops around do this modification?
    And is it something that is commonly done?
    2008 3L Auto ST GU6 Patrol (Navy Blue).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chambo Off to Work We Go For This Useful Post:

claw45 (9th September 2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambo Off to Work We Go View Post
    Do the dealers and workshops around do this modification?
    And is it something that is commonly done?
    I doubt it if a dealer would do this mod but a good off road workshop Should be able to.

Yes its a commonly done mod, in fact there is a spread on it here in the DIY section under: Nissan Patrol Reference Document. it outlines this mod & a hole lot of other info as well.

Cheers
    Paul

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patch697 For This Useful Post:

bad055 (8th November 2012), brucemacca (7th April 2012), claw45 (9th September 2011), myzathreeby (15th February 2012), oilburner98 (6th April 2012), TIGGR (12th May 2016)

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast